3Dlabprint planes - any ideas

I tried to follow the instructions on 3dlabprint.com how to configure Prusaslicer for their planes. Bamb Studio is a fork of Prusaslicer. Some parts slice fine, others not.

I used this instruction with SoftFever and worked perfect:

important is to slow down the fans

1 Like

I did that too but it does not slice some parts correctly. You can do most but the center pieces of the P38 for example came out wrong missing essential structures.

Be careful, not all the planes are designed to be printed in vase mode. I started with a new-ish model, which worked perfectly in vase mode, but when i used the settings i created for an older model, significant parts of the sliced pieces were missing, some layers were floating in the air. But once i switched off the vase mode, everything is correct. Just the LW-PLA makes quite a mess while the nozzle is traveling within the printed part without printing.

Has anyone been successful in printing 3DLabPrint planes? I have 5 of their older models like the Spitfire Mk XVI, Messerschmitt Bf 109, 3d Edge, Qtrainer, and PT17.
I am considering buying a P1S, but want to make sure it will print a plane first. I normally use Cura.
I looked at PursaSlicer settings listed in the link above and I have downloaded Bambu Studio. I started playing with the settings in Bambu Studio and it looks like it may work. And of course, the different parts like the ailerons, fuselage, and wings all need different settings. Maybe someone could share some setting screenshots that work?

I have successfully printed the Waco, P51 & the F4U on my X1C. Used both ColorFabb LW-Pla and 3DLabPrint PolyAir/PolyLight with no problems other than normal calibrating to airfoils.

Hi, I have a P1S and trying to slice 3dLabPrint’s P51. Most parts are ok. especially the hollow ones. The problem is the ailerons that needs the top and bottom printed but hollow inside. Bambu studio add some layers inside the model when I choose 5 layers for top and bottom.
How did you manage to get them printed?

Try to uncheck “Ensure vertical shell thickness”. If it doesn’t help, please be more specific about “studio add some layers”, post some images of the problem.

Thanks for your help user_51

Here is a screenshot of the issue. I’d like to model to be sliced hollow in the middle but want the top and bottom layers printed.

Thanks

Can’t add images on here! How can I share an image?

You’re still classified as a “New User”. Once your trust level increase to a “Basic User” you will be able to post images and create new threads.

2 Likes

Try some image hosting site like imgbb.com and post URL here.

I tried drive.google but this wiki does not allow me to put URL’s either!

Here is the screen shot and video of the issue.

Now I see the problem.
Add Height range modifier and set top shell layers for top 5mm of the model only.

1 Like

If you are using PLA Aero, Download the profile from the Wiki to setup the slicer.

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/knowledge-sharing/studio-settings-for-rc-models

PLA Aero Profile(spiral vase mode)

PLA Aero Profile(non-spiral vase mode)

I found a solution for some of the parts was enabling/disabling top surfaces. For some reason, Studio was adding geometry where there was none. Because this was always on the top, I just set the top layer to 0. With that, I was able to slice a model completely, but just never printed it, so I can’t speak to how they come out.

Never tried to use the height modifier, may try that. Thanks.

Thanks user_51

I could not find the parameters you mentioned; “Height Range Modifier” and “set top shell layer”

Can you please specify?

Thanks

UTFG :wink:

Here’s the link for a tutorial. It’s for Prusa Slicer, but since Bambu/Orca Slicer are based on this, it should be descriptive enough and similar. Modifiers | Prusa Knowledge Base

I’m unable to provide better help at the moment.

Hi User_51

Thanks for sending the link. I have managed to get the modifiers working and it did the job :). Thanks a million. Just before I sent it to printer Bambu Studio crashed though!. I keep having this. I am using 2018 macbook pro…

Thanks again