Ability to choose different AMS slot for Brim

When printing with multiple color filaments using the paint feature it seems you’re stuck using the first to print filament color for use as a brim.

Sometimes the first color to print is not the same color at the edges of the first layer. In this case the brim and the edge it’s attached to are different color. Remnants of the brim color have to be sanded off of the part causing unnecessary extra steps.

8 Likes

I had the same problem the other day.

Any news on this one?

1 Like

+1 for this. I would like to be able to use SupportW for the brim for easiest removal.

Anyone? I still can’t figure out how to have different filament for the brim with AMS.
You can choose the filament for the support but not for the brim.

Good suggestion. I would like to see material override options for just about everything like walls, infill, brim, raft, etc. similar to Cura.

I am not sure if using a material that is supposed to break away easily is a good idea for a brim, which sole purpose it is to add additional layer adhesion and stability to the print.

Support W makes a fantastic brim. Just make a cube primitive 1 (or more) layer(s) high sized to the area you want the brim. Assign it to the slot with support W and assemble the models. It supports areas with small contact surfaces and peels off super-easy.

2 Likes

+1 on this, I just ran into this issue today where I had white text on the bottom of a black case and couldn’t use a brim because the white text was first and that made the brim also white.

As an added bonus, it allows putting the brim only where needed, not everywhere.

So it prints like a brim, set the Bottom Surface Pattern of the cube to Concentric.

Great idea, thanks!

Been wanting this for over a year now. We can define support generation material but not the brim material… so strange.

Actually you can achieve this by customizing First layer filament sequence, under Objects tab.
Here is the comparison between Auto and Customize, on model Christmas Candy, I’m trying to save green filament as much as possible because I’m running out of it.

Auto

Customize

Snipaste_2023-12-22_11-20-57

4 Likes

I ran into the same issue before. That is great that there already is a solution.

I usually use one of those deburring tools to smooth out remnants of a brim.

bro you need a nobel prise <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3