AMS A/B Switch

I debated long and hard too about whether to buy a 2nd x1c. So far I haven’t regretted it - I don’t do that much printing, but it is surprising how often I find a 2nd printer useful when I am needing to do some parallel printing.

Like you I am also looking forward to the next BL printer - however I am hoping it is not a toolchanger or an idex - I am hoping it is something much more advanced - that allows for parallel printing of at least 8 colours.

1 Like

I have quite a few printers including a Pro 3D V-King 400 that I built from self sourced very best quality parts so a second X1C is not really needed for my printing setup.
Whatever BL come up with to succeed the X1C I can see myself being tempted by it!

I had a MK3S with an MMU for several years, and a deposit on an XL. I had given up on the XL, and bought a P1S combo on the recommendation of several friends. Then I finally got the notice that my XL was ready to ship. I ended up buying the XL after deciding not to wait for Bambu to offer a large format printer.

I really like the large bed of the XL. And it can switch colors in under 10 seconds, so it is MUCH faster than the Bambu for multicolor prints, and the multiple heads generate almost no waste. But XL is 5 years behind in filament management. So far, that’s the most disappointing part about it. My other issues with it are:

• It is limited to 5 colors.

• PrusaSlicer does not support Plates or object level parameter assignment.

• It doesn’t have an accelerometer, so its input shaping is far from optimal. For single color prints, the Bambu is still much faster.

The Bambu has spoiled me. My dream is to attach a filament management system to the XL and Bambu, where I can share a pool of filaments across all my printers. My AMS switch is the first step. I’m working on a modified version of it where the ground signal switches in first and out last, like the connector.

I also designed a box that mounts on the sides of the XL which uses Bambu AMS Feeder units to load and unload the XL filament. I haven’t built this because I’ve moved on to a more generalized architecture where I want to share filaments across the Bambu’s or the heads of the XL.

1 Like

Really like your thinking. I too would also like a solution where I put one or two rolls of every roll I regularly use into AMS like units which can then be automatically loaded into each printer (or multiple printers).

Buying AMS units for every filament is a little too expensive - around £75 per filament roll, buying 1st stage feeders and rollers for each roll is a bit more cost effective at around £39 per roll, but still at bit expensive.

Also there is a bit of a risk buying too many AMS units in case they are not compatible with the next printer - so I have currently stopped at 4.

What I would ideally like to see in future (or homebrew) AMS units that are:

1. Cheaper per filament roll.
  2. Directly stackable
  3. Switchable to multiple printers (Ideally with individual channels switchable)
  4. Having some sort of ability to allow the same filament to be used at the same time on multiple printers - possibly via some sort of roll splitting and rewinding, or even just queuing. (I’ve done this myself manually, by splitting RFID rolls into 2, including also splitting the 2 x RFIDs too - you have to be careful which slot you place a split roll in if you only have one RFID on it) when I have needed the same colour on both of my printers.

Allowing this solution to also be used on other non BL printers would also be a bonus.

I almost got an XL too - within about an hour of launch I tried to order one - but for some reason my virus checker flagged the prusa site as suspect so I didn’t end up going for the order - which I am quite glad.

1 Like

That is a great idea and project. Will it work with the AMS lite as well? I wish BBL would enable the use of two AMS’s on the A1/A1mini. there are two plugs so somebody must have had the idea that one could use two AMS’s. Do you have a post on making it?

Hello, I am interested in the electronics part of this project. I am currently working on a filament switch for the AMS-lite. The two could be complementary.

Search “2 imprimantes de la serie A1 sur un seul Ams lite” on FB.

The main discussion is on FB " [Bambu Lab X1C/P1P/P1S/A1 Aide Francophone (imprimantes 3D Bambulab)]" ref switching AMS-lite on A1 / A1mini

Hi Sundance4, I don’t know of any post on getting a X1 printer to work with an AMS Lite. Standard AMS units require a 4-port hub to work. I don’t know if the command set for the AMS and Lite are the same, but they reduced cost with the Lite by dropping the hub, because they know that only one Lite per printer is supported.

Hi phildc, I applied for FB membership in that group, and I will try to post my AMS switch design this week.

The adapter that I designed is now in beta test for a week. A subject has been opened in Bambu Lab A1 Series → General discussions
Title: One AMS for two or more A1’s
where additional comments should be directed.

The parts are in:
Bambulab A1 filament switching -beta test by phildc - Thingiverse

1 Like

I made a second switch, where I added lobes to the knob so the ground signal engages before the rest of the signals when switching. I also swung the cable to the AMS to the bottom side, so it comes out in the same direction as the PTFE tube for it. I could move the A/B electrical connector to the top side, but it would just make the case wider.

Ideally this should be mounted on the top or side of the AMS, but it would only add more length and bends to the PTFE tubes. I have the space with my current setup, but I would be happier with a cleaner solution.

1 Like

And here is a picture of the modified knob.

2 Likes

I just posted the AMS Switch design.
https://makerworld.com/en/@mcmaven
There is a PDF file that explains the assembly process in detail.

1 Like

Apparently my switch model violated a Bambu posting rule and they blocked it. So I took it down. I suspect they were worried about incorrect wiring taking out your printer, which is a valid point. But with careful wiring I made two of them and they both worked, however I did triple check the wiring before in plugged them in. Contact me if you are still interested in making one.

1 Like