ASA Printing

Hi All,

Just purchased the X-1 Carbon! Any suggestions for printing ASA? I’ve read varying reports on which build surface to use. Any advice would be appreciated!

3 Likes

Engineering plate with appropriate adhesive. I’ve done it and it worked fine.

5 Likes

@holmes4 thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

I’m using Bambu Dual-Sided Textured PEI Plate with some warping problems without brim… testing with Smart Materials 3D ASA

Next test:

Initial layer temperature: 100ºC
Other layer temperature: 95ºC

Not fan on 4 layers
Min. fan speed 5%
Max. fan speed 10%
Aux fan: 5%

Waiting feature: Chamber Fan auto speed based on temperature · Issue #1068 · bambulab/BambuStudio (github.com)

References:

1 Like

I just finished a print on the dual-sided textured plate with PolyLite ASA. Normally I’d use adhesive for ASA but decided to see what it did without it. Not bad overall. It did lift on one edge, but otherwise finished fine and the lift was not enough to ruin the print.

4 Likes

Could it be a bed adhesion problem or does the nozzle hit the part?

Spaghetti detection does not stop printing… (medium or high)

With textured PEI plate:

References:

4 Likes

Priting with same parameters and engineering Plate plate without problems:

1 Like

hi, how did you solve this?

There are several issues addressed in this post. Which are you asking about??

It’s important when you ask for help that you give enough data about the problem to be clear. Short unclear posts like this are often ignored by people.

Also - You’ll get a lot more help with a problem if you make a post yourself and not revive a 2 month old post.

In here you’ll get a few people (like me :grin:) who will see it. If you start your own post you’ll have hundreds see it, much better chance of getting a good answer! :wink:

Cheers!

3 Likes

Sharing ASA profiles: GitHub - mainmind83/BambuStudio-ASA: printing profiles for ASA filament in Bambu Studio
At the moment with the 3 manufacturers that I have been able to test…

1 Like

Bambu just dropped ASA material for purchase. I’m sure it will come with a firmware update for the tuned in presets! Enjoy!

1 Like

I was on a search for info, since my first ASA, on a dual sided textured bed went like a charm.
Second, third and fourth print ended in spagetti.
This thread made me think and I tried another printplate; the Engineering plate. I also applied a small amount of gluestick. As I type this, try five is on its way but is already further then the third and fourth print.
So I think the engineering plate is the way to go.

PS: print ended succesfully

1 Like

For me, the high temp plate (without glue) at 100 C has much better adhesion than textured plate and I experienced no warping even for very long and tall pieces. YMMV

2 Likes

The high temp plate ends up with bubbles, so don’t think that’s the best choice

I haven’t experienced that except with Prusament PC blend which I have stopped using. ABS, ASA and PC do not cause bubbles in my experience as long as I wait for the print to cool down before removing.

I wish I was as patient as you are.

Same here with high temp plate. 90% ABS everyday for months now. Never have seen bubbles on my two plates.

1 Like

Use a fan to blow on the plate if you are impatient :laughing:

1 Like

So to confirm from what I’ve learned here; I cannot use the textured plate that came with my P1S for ASA? I’m looking to do big prints and were looking for the right settings for it.

Should I buy a different plate then, are there no solutions for textured plates?

My textured PEI plate has worked very well with ASA, no glue needed. The ASA adheres well until the plate cools, then the print becomes loose. As always, don’t touch the surface, wash with water and dish detergent occasionally.

2 Likes