Banding / Ringing type artifacts?

@Pidrittel
If you have trouble in vase mode then it really means you have trouble :slight_smile: sorry, I will be interrested when you’ll find the solution.

@froboz
For detection they probably use stall detection/sensor less as with TMC2209 which does not require end stop, a wrong configuration can cause bad detection and make some damages…

this is awesome, and I wonder what Bambu has to say about this. We are kind of stuck with their own extruders so I hope the can validate this and say wether they are considering this or not. Clearly, this can make bambu better? thoughts?

1 Like

There were no obstructions, and it was skipping belt teeth when it does it. Its definitely abnormal behavior.

1 Like

From my long discussions with support, it seems as though they consider this normal operation and have no intention of “fixing” the banding issues in print quality. They may seek to fix the print head crashing into everything but I have little faith that they will attempt to fix the ringing and banding issues.

1 Like

not sure about the stepper drivers but definitely not the infil or extrusion points for me.

This seems to be the feedback I got from my interaction with the Support as well!!!
I wonder if they are all around the same level of expertise or if some are just following a flow chart of responses. I actually wondered what sort of checks are done on them before hiring as I saw another advert for support personnel recently!!!

Support is just a really entry level employee with basic knowledge to triage the issue and issue a response accordingly which can go in any direction:

• Canned response
  • Issue a credit
  • RMA and other background things to send you a replacement part

This is in my experience, I presume that these employees are 100% kept in the dark of what really is happening and they handle little no information other than what is given to them as the standard.

1 Like

That’s not been my experience with support. The answers I get are useful and on-topic. I did software support for nearly 40 years, and I recognize both good and bad support when I see it. I’ve had two tickets so far, one of them quite complex, and I had satisfactory outcomes to both.

2 Likes

Has this problem been fixed yet?
I think a lot of people are new to 3D printing and just haven’t noticed it yet.

I noticed this on Tom’s Hardware *red panel on right

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bambulabs-p1p-review-bare-bones-speed-freak

Interesting that they didn’t mention it in their review.

I get better wall quality on my 10yo Makerbot rep2

Waiting to hit the buy button once Bambu diagnoses the cause.

1 Like

Nope, not fixed yet!!

This looks more like a pressure advance bug, might also be filament variation. Or thin walls and too much infill overlap.

2 Likes

Hi, I don’t know about the pressure advance part but personally I have tried 4 different filaments including Bambu Lab’s own and have seen identical results! Also have experimented with wall thickness and infill settings but again no difference!!

1 Like

I may be off base but then again I might be on to something here

Cogs or teeth in the belts are used to keep the belts cool at least in manufacturing plants and industrial equipment

My thoughts are that due to the smooth surface of the idler rollers and the light weight of the components along with the high speeds that the slight bumps as the belts travel over the idlers may be causing the ringing we see

I fully understand that the cogs also provide traction but perhaps a serpentine style belt with ribs rather than cogs or even smooth belts without the teeth on the drive gears might solve this issue

The caveat to this might be belt slipping and the belts stretching sooner due to the lack of cooling but that’s a hard maybe as in my industry cogged belts wear out faster than the smooth ones

As well belts with pointy cogs as opposed to flat cogs wear out faster but the pointy cogs do provide better cooling

So I do believe possibly that the bumping of the cogs over the smooth idlers is causing the imperfections

I guess another simpler solution could be idlers with teeth like on the drive motors

Thoughts ?

2 Likes

Lubricating the rods has been mentioned and I understand it may do more harm than good as far as cleanliness, but what about a automotive type car wax or ceramic coating? Basically a lube that is very thin that wouldn’t rub off and create a mess in the tool head, build plate, etc. Carbon rods are new to me and I’ve never had experience with them being used as linear rods.

This last picture above, is not ringing nor banding, nor produced by the idlers. That’s simple VFA, what the Bambus produce, especially at lower speeds due to slow downs due to layer time. So mostly only visible when printing small objects/diameters.

2 Likes

Graphite is a lubricant. We don’t need to lubricate those rods at all, really, just clean them and make sure they are smooth.
Not sure what happens if something makes dents in them though…

I dont think carbon fibre rods are a good linear slide.

CF rods are made with an epoxy/2 part type resin. Its also not very abrasion resitant (it’s easy to sand) and when heated it softens and becomes tacky.

I think the X vertical banding is either shuddering from the X linear motion being resisted or belt quality.

Has anyone looked at the rails under a microscope, is there any visible wear?

Also, maybe try rubbing some candle wax on the belts it can eliminate resitance and help syncronous teeth mesh into the idlers/drive gears.

They would have been better off making the X rails out of titanium tubing. Try sanding titanium or hardened steel then carbon fibre, you’ll see what I mean.

What is VFA? Ive never seen it on my makerbot.

1 Like
1 Like

Or perhaps it is not simple VFA as I and many others have run test prints from slow to max speeds with no difference in the banding effect!!! Just my opinion FWIW

1 Like