BBL PA-CF is ferrous?

Nobody but you are asserting that iron should be used for testing if plain iron is present.

Thanks for confirming what three others have corroborated as well.

There have been examples of how to test for iron listed above already, including aqueous washes causing oxide deposits, test strip from amazon in filament slurry etc. These should be sufficient proof to back your proclamations, oh wise leader.

This is super interesting… so (sorry if I skimmed past and missed something) this is being seen in only Bambu brand PA-CF? but not in all examples?

I’d say this batch of filament has been contaminated during manufacture - more specifically the CF component. Wherever it was sourced from, it has been mixed with something ferrous at some point.

Or… Bambu are trialing new materials with metal.

OneMoreDave had a different looking brand, and a few other reports about material makeup and the brand type.

It seems it is not consistent from batch to batch and it appears brand agnostic.
Most likely a base material change or manufacturing technique between batches.

Hope that helps clarify some as there is a lot of noise from experts who don’t seem to bring any real findings to the table.

Dude. I’m the thread starter. I think I’m entitled to say whatever I want as often as I want to. If that’s not agreeable to you, I encourage you to start your own thread on the subject. Don’t rain on my parade.

I’m not bragging about anything. I have a couple of decades experience with material analysis. If I can get access to a SEM, that would unequivocally solve the mystery.

There’s nothing you can do in your kitchen to definitively determine why the filament has this property.

Except the things I say, apparently?

3 Likes

You can’t own a discussion my friend and I was never specifically quoting you, there are a multitude of people in this thread. But if you believe the shoe fits, by all means go ahead.

How about we get back to the topic at hand.

Nobody stated anything was definitive except the people exerting what is and isn’t possible.

The things you have stated were not in question, except for the myriad of questions I had posed to you directly earlier, some of which you ignored outright.

If you have a problem with the conversation, then perhaps you are attaching too many emotions to a curious group of people.

We can draw many conclusions with 0.001% the budget of a SEM to the point where it may become trivial to even scan it. Will anyone be willing to perform any tests that could be done in the comfort of your own home?

Feels great: How to block or hide users?

“Virtual ignore” works just as well.

3 Likes

Inconvenient truths don’t warrant such animosity.

Well, I’m waiting to hear back from my friend at Thermo-Fisher, I think he ought to be able to shoot a sample for me. Perhaps next week. I will of course post what he finds (assuming he can do it for me).

5 Likes

Bizar! Only the 30% iron filled pla i have does that!

I tested it with a 12kg magnet on my BL PETG-CF and its not magnetic. But my BL PAHT-CF is.

I tested some BL PA-CF that I had printed 9+ months ago. It was the one included in the KS. It’s not magnetic. Some batches might have iron filings in them? Someone mixed up carbon fiber powder with iron powder is my best guess.

Wouldn’t it be easiest just to dissolve some of the filament and see what is in it? The iron isn’t going to be dissolved in the plastic, it’s going to be a powder or filings. At the same time you’d get to see if there is any CF in it. DMF should work, I’m guessing it won’t attack the iron.

1 Like

Dissolving the filament is easy. But how would you “see” what’s in the resultant blob of goop?

I think powdered metal, or filings, would be unlikely since particulate large enough to see with the naked eye will be particulate large enough to plug the nozzle and make it impossible to print. Assuming the culprit is Iron, I suspect it’s going to be “nano” particulate. I don’t think anything would be distinguishable to the naked eye.

My friend said he could get a SEM done for me. But it’s kind of a PITA for him so I’m undecided on whether or not to take him up on the offer. Still thinking about it…

3 Likes

I would have loved to test this, but I don’t have any PA-CF. I have access to a lab and a Xray machine that’s capable of finding all the elements in a peculiar sample.

If people have access to some chemistry equipment, they could try dissolving the filament in some solvent. They could add muriatic acid and titrate the potential Fe2+ using potassium permanganate. We could know exactly how much is in there !

1 Like

Fortunately there is a device which can attract and aggregate ferrous particles that are suspended in a liquid, even if they are nano sized.

Where are you located? Someone can send you some, if you are in the US I will.

I’m in the EU, so it wont be possible :frowning:

Is it magnetic when its on the spool? Maybe the nozzle is depositing metal

Already discussed.

Short version: Yes it is, and no it isn’t. :slight_smile:

3 Likes