Best filament for something on a lanyard?

I was asked to print an AI Pin holder for someone (probably this one) and I’m trying to figure out what filaments that I already have would work. I’ve got the PA-CF, some PLA-CF, PETG, 98A TPU (Fillamentum FlexFill TPU), and regular PLA. I don’t have PLA Tough or HTPLA.

(This was the question I should have asked first, although now I know a lot about the various CFs that I own!)

I’m thinking that PA-CF’s “terrible with moisture” is probably not so good on a human, and PLA-CF’s “brittle” is also not good for something that’s going to be hanging from a lanyard. I suppose everything is a compromise of some sort, but would like to hear folk’s thoughts!

Unless you plan on leaving it in a hot car, anything should work.

1 Like

My recommendation would be to avoid CF as it is a coarse, almost sandpaper-like material that will feel like it is ‘catching’ on any apparel it rubs against. If you’re going to produce an object that will be rubbing against clothing, this might be undesirable.

My preference would be PETG. Why? Because when properly tuned, the filament produces an almost soft buttery smooth surface and has the added benefit of being very wear-worthy and durable, especially if left in a hot car.

I had a similar application, but it was for a USB security key that was on my keychain. For the first naked USB key, the key ring eventually wore through the plastic of the USB key due to wear. So I printed a holder out of CF, which I thought would be ideal because of its strength. However, it was so abrasive that it ended up wearing a hole through my pants pocket. Additionally, the abrasiveness turned out to be its weakness because it was abrading on the metal key ring. The second holder I printed out of PLA, but it was so soft that it quickly broke, even though I had the wall thickness set at 100%. I finally tried out PETG, and that was the Goldilocks zone. It was durable, smooth, and non-abrasive. The only thing I would recommend is to set your infill to zero and your wall thickness to something like 500 to ensure 100% wall thickness and make your top and bottom layers 10. This will give you a near-injection-molded feel and strength. It will take longer to print, but the results speak for themselves.

1 Like