Cruise Ship Print

TUI Skyla now complete - modelled again in Fusion 360. Think I got to the limit of detail that is possible from a 0.4mm nozzle.

Facebook link here

Filament for this one and the next few has been kindly sponsored by Bambu Lab. Really like how well the AMS works with BL RFID filament.

Decided to get another printer - had a big dilemma about wether to get a P1P or another X1C - glad I decided on the X1C - given the recent new printer announcement.

Did two versions - one to the same scale as other ships (1:500) and another double the size (1:250) - so that detail shows up better.

4 Likes

P&O Cruises Arvia progressing well - fairly easy as its pretty similar to Iona.

Printed up to Deck 15 in Bambu Lab Sponsored Filament - and design changes for Deck16-19 now made - and ready to start making printable and printing over the next few days.

Most complicated part was high ropes and crazy golf etc.

9 Colours on one plate - definitive justification for getting 3rd AMS!

1 Like

Started printing the double size version - managed to get projected print time for 1/6th of the hull down from 20hrs to just over 11 - by switching to a 0.6mm Nozzle, plus cutting out a bit of the middle (using a modifier cube) and also changing infill down from 5% to 3%.

Also working on adding a small amount of LED lighting to the existing version of Arvia - getting some nice Renders out of Fusion 360.

4 Likes

Hull part of Double size Arvia print now almost complete - going double size should allow quite a lot more details to be introduced - lifeboats for example

1 Like

First part of double size ship the hull complete. 6 full plates and 6 decks thick - total print time about 45 hrs.
13 more normal thickness decks to go - mostly of 6 sections each! So at least another 250 hours of printing to go - plus a fair number of improvements to make to the model to improve the level of detail.

Thanks to Bambu Lab for Sponsoring filament for this mammoth print.

3 Likes

From very very big, to very very small…

6 Likes

Probably my last Cruise ship printing build log post on this board - as I am going to give this site a try

Probably pushing things a little too far in terms of size - but think with some slight redesigns probably could get the little people to print a bit cleaner - probably need to make the arms a little thicker.

Still when not zoomed in the people on the ship look pretty good to me.

Dave Wood

Current Builds - P&O Cruises Arvia 1:250 (MSW)

Previous Builds - P&O Cruises. Arvia 1:500(MSW), Iona 1:500(PR), Azura 1:500(FB). Ventura 1:500(PR), TUI River Cruise Skyla 1:250, 1:500 (FB)

Future Build Plans - P&O Cruises Arcadia (WP), Aurora (WP), Britannia (WP), Cunard Queen Elizabeth (WP), Carnival Jubilee (WP), RCL Utopia of the Seas (WP), MV Africa Mercy (WP)

2 Likes

Attempting a single colour 1:1000 print of Ventura - suspect it is going to need some work.

My first single colour attempt of any of the cruise ships - as there seems to be a demand for single colour versions.

Made a few changes - like:

1. Added the ability for the bigger texts and logo to stick out for single colour, - Hull, Deck 7.8
  2. putting some supports around the lifeboats and promenade deck.
  3. Beefed up the support of the Bridge, and
  4. added a big chamfer under the rear bar that overhangs.
  5. Also flattened out the balcony dividers on a few of the decks to eliminate overhang.
  6. Also removed things like flags
  7. Filled in under the overhang near the middle outside pool.
  8. Added triangle in middle of front Radar tower to potentially all it to print.
  9. Added support under some of the overhanging parts by the stern pool

First attempt completely without supports.

Main concerns

1. Model is pretty hollow - so upper decks may need more support from the inside
  2. Some of the railings were cut off by the attempt to support the bar at the back - so may need to restore them
  3. Still quite a lot of overhangs.

Current 1:500 design

New beefed up design mainly for single colour printing - but may try multi colour too.

Slicer view

Slicer preview view

Slicer settings
0.4mm nozzle, 0.2 layer, 2 walls, infill 5%, Auto Brim, Wall generator Arachne. Filament BL Matt White.

First attempt at print - few faults to fix - like

1. Size of Bridge supports
  2. Some floors too thin
  3. So railings now working
  4. Front Radar tower
  5. Logo on Funnel

Timelapse of first print attempt

All issues now hopefully addressed in model - a fit bit of support added that probably needs to be snipped off if it is noticeable. All ready to try another test print tomorrow afternoon (Fri).

Print attempt 2 better in many ways - but some new faults arose - will revert to printing in sections method to resolve issues. Likely next full print attempt Sunday afternoon.

20/8 13:00 Not as simple as I thought to create a 1:1000 print as one model out of the 1:500 print each deck separately versions. - But hopefully now after test print 5 finally ready to do a proper 7.5hr single colour print, which will be follow by few partial colour prints, then finally a probably 22hr colour print.

Final test print worked pretty well - so published on Printables Printables

1 Like

16/8

Single Plate 1:1000 Multi coloured version looking quite promising too. Projected around 20hrs print time.

Looking forward to trying it once I have ironed out any issues with the single coloured version.

21/8 8:18
Nearly 21 hours, 10 colour print now starting - doing print on cool plate to allow for a few pauses.

If this print fails might try printing both Ventura and Azura at the same time as two ships of this basic design just about fit on - only adds about 7 hours to the print time - which sounds like the right amount of time when you consider that 7 hrs is how long the single colour version took.
This would also push the waste ratio down to below 50%.

7 hours in to print - about another 13.5hrs to go… looking good so far

22/8 05:30. Print looking good, just one fault with one of the centre pool light, only a few hrs to go.
Had to switch to wyze camera because lost x1c connection - another Bambu cloud issue I assume.

22/8 8:44 - print finish an hour or so ago - quite pleased with it.
Issues were

1. Loss of one of the lights around the middle pool
  2. Covered internal pool surface not that good
  3. Some colour bleed off the yellow into the white on the front canopy and radar tower - the first colour bleed I have noticed so far in all of my prints.
  4. A few stray silver fibres at the bottom of the overhang above the cabins.
  5. Some fine stringing between lamps
  6. Steps at rear look a bit messy
    7.Front canopy middle support missing - so some bridging artifacts
  7. Bottom surface of rear overhanging bar a bit messy and also underside of bridge - so may need a bit more support added.
    9 Not really keen on 21 hr prints - so will probably split the model into 4 separate sections - that can either be printed individually, or together in combinations as required. Fixing will be via M4 bolts from the bottom.

Timelapse

1 Like

21/8 9:45
Might also try doing a 1/4 size 1:2000 version with a 0.2mm nozzle and 0.1mm layer height next.
In theory should take roughly the same amount of time as 1/2 size 1:1000 with a 0.4mm nozzle 0.2mm layer layer - but projecting 1 day 3hrs - so about 6 hrs longer - I guess that it down to having to take longer purging.

Purge to print ratio moves from about 80% to about 250% when moving from 0.4 to 0.2 for pretty much the same number of swaps (about 430).

Going up to two at a time increases print time by 17hrs up to 44 - so might be worth considering doing Azura at the same time. Purge ratio still about 180% with 2.

Going up to 6 pushes total print time up to about 71 hrs (3 days) - but finally gets the purge ratio back down to about 80% again.

Think I should probably wait until I have the whole fleet of 7 ready to print before attempting this.

2 Likes

Would be sick to install a motor, esc, prop and lipo

StreetSports - Yes - I am considering that at some point - need to find a suitable local model ship sailing club.

1 Like

1:250 Arvia now complete - tried for this one releasing a YouTube short on the BL Official Facebook group - but seemed to get very little interest compared to releasing photos - I guess too many cruise ships - or maybe Facebook doesn’t prioritise showing posts with just YouTube videos.

Took several weeks and masses of Bambu Lab Sponsored filament to print.

Now working on 1:1005 Ariva and Iona one build plate print in place without supports. Would have liked to do it as 1:1000 - but won’t quite fit on an X1C build plate - unless I scale it down to 99.5%

Did think about trying to fiddle with the GCode so that the bow protrudes slightly over the back near the purge shoot - but probably best not to do that.

Youtube Short link

4 Likes

Now working on print in place Iona/Arvia. 1:1000 scale (or more like 1:1050 to make it fit in the X1C build plate). - spent the whole day introducing support struts - most of which can probably be left in place - but some like those supporting the bridge will need to be split off. Ready to start a single colour test print of Iona. Support added is coded in yellow in the attached picture - but will probably be printed as white in the multi colour version.

Support additions quite a lot more than Ventura - due to more overhangs on Iona/Arvia.

16:20 - Test print of Single Colour Iona Started - estimated print time 8hrs - which I will pause overnight. Arvia single colour version also ready for test print.
PS/ Getting manifold error reported by BS - but it seemed to slice ok - but will have to sort that out before Makerworld will accept it.

First attempt at full print failure - failed on lifeboats - despite doing to segmented test prints - so have beefed up most of the 0.6mm dimensions in the lifeboat holders to 1mm and will retry.

11/9 16:40. 2nd attempt, this time of Arvia, going pretty well only about 1hr 20mins to go. Main obvous fault is that the promedate deck bridge supports are too thin - so will have to be thickened up a bit. Also will have to move some of the supports that go through windows as they won’t look good when removed on the colour version.

Pretty happy with print, but a few changes required - so likely to need another couple of test prints
Back canopy a bit thin + some stringing down

Swim up bar canopy slats a bit thin

Floor by stairs at back a bit thin

Deck 19 front floor too thin

Hole covers

Deck18 overhang stringing down a bit

Deck 18 front overhang a bit messy

Front canopy too thin

Hold ups of side bridge too thin

Ridges over joints

Golf course 1 bit missing

Supports through glass

Deck19 middle parts by radar towers too thin

Bit of stringing under bridge

Middle canopy a bit thin

Inner covered pool floor a bit thin

Timelapse still looks pretty good though Test2 - Ariva Dark Green Version

12/9 8:00. 3rd Attempt now started - Ariva - in gold this time, hopefully with above issues addressed. 7hrs 30mins to go.

12/9 15:55. Only just over an hour to go - looking quite good in gold I think - and no obvious faults jump out yet.

Came out pretty well - just a couple of problems - so doing a third full print - this time in lighter green, plus also Iona now ready too - so kicked off a Silver print of her.

Timelapse of Gold Arvia print. Gold Arvia 1000 Timelapse

13/9 16:15 - prints (hopefully final single colour looking good). Iona on left, Arvia on Right

13/9 21:51 Arvia in green pretty much perfect - so might release that on MakerWorld tomorrow.
Iona has a few faults - might be due to using BL PLA Silk - but will thicken up two canopies and try reprinting in white tomorrow.

14/9 21:50. Iona now ready to go also. Had a few problems with BL SILK PLA with the really small details. Shame because I think It looks better in that colour than the BL PLA BASIC Grey at the front. Did one full test print, and then reprinted just the parts that failed.

Will do another full Iona print tomorrow - but am now confident that Iona and Arvia are ready.

Will also in parallel start a multi colour print of Arvia - could I suppose do Iona at the same time too if I split it into two to save on waste - but think I will just do the one for now.

1 Like

Sorry - I thought they had opened the Beta up according to this thread - MakerWorld Beta Testers Wanted!

Will remove link to Makerworld to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Multi colour versions of both ships now ready to print at 99% of 1:1000 scale.

Decisions to make though - one ship will take 1d 2h 25m, second ship 1d 4h 42m.
Both ships together - with one split in half (as only way to fit both on) 1d 15h 11m

Both together won’t make such a good timelapse - but looks like an overall saving of about 11hrs
Also printing them both at the same time will pretty much halve the amount of flush - to 254g - so think I will go for two together.

Might do some partial test prints of the most risk bits first before kicking off such a long print.

Update 12:00 16/9 - Decided to go for it

Update 22:30 - about 10.5hrs into print, 26% complete - letters look a little bit messy, but will hopefully clean up ok. Now pausing the print for the night (should be fine as one cool plate), will resume in the morning.

17/9 8:45 Got another couple of hours in this morning now up to 39% - still 27hrs to go - pausing now for a 2nd time. PS/ First intervention required on an almost empty orange filament spool (not weighted) - need to find a solution to this issue.

Updated 17/9 19:00. Now effectively 50% complete - only one more issue - due to running out of white filament.

10pm - pausing for the night - image won’t upload from iPad. 57% complete

18/7 8:30 - print restarted about 7am - now only about 15 hrs to go - so should hopefully finish before tomorrow lunch time.

18/7. 16:00 - less than 8 hrs to go - will let them finish today

1 Like

Pretty much flawless print -
12:00 on 16/9 to 23:50 on 18/9 - so about 60 hrs elapsed, 39 hrs printing time with 3 planned pauses (overnight and while out of house).

Only interventions required were helping out the very empty orange filament a little bit once when it struggled a bit in the AMS - need to sort that problem somehow - and I don’t think weighted centre is really the answer, plus one to change the while filament when it ran out. All this on an X1C with 875hrs on it and only one lot of extra lubrication so far - probably time for some more.

All printed with Bambu Lab Sponsored RFID PLA.

Decided to print both ships at the same time - as prime tower (and purge) would be the same - had to split one of the ships to make them fit - first time I have tried the Bambu Slicer built in connectors - think I will have to trim the pins a little bit to make them fit.

3 different size Ariva’s - with a few more ships above and below.

Initial unedited time-lapse here - will do a better one for publication.
https://youtu.be/zz1Xavj_Zbs

5 Likes

Was asked on the P&O Facebook for some rough material and electrical costs for various sizes of models - so here are some rough calculations for interest purposes only - as I am not currently allowed to do anything commercial with these models by Carnival Corp.

Printer equipment required comes to between £1500 and £2k. ($1850 - $2500)

I haven’t measured the exact power usage, but I think it is less than 100w on average, my unit cost is £0.31per kwh.

Materials cost around £18 per 1 kg roll. This model uses 11 different colours - so a fairly big initial outlay of 11x£18

1:1250 Multi Colour Scale models - which I haven’t yet printed

it would take about 45 hrs - so about 4.5kwh - or around £1.40 of electricity at £0.31 per kWh, plus around 800g of filament - £14.50. So the base electrical and materials costs per ship for 1:1250 would be around £4 ($5) each.

Obviously these costs are only for interest only and don’t include anything for printer management time, initial outlays for equipment, and the biggest cost which is for design time - which was many 100s of hrs.

1:1000 models - the latest two I did:
9A609E93-5DCE-47A8-B992-CE8C05EA32C8
So for 39 hours for the 1:1000 model let’s call it 4kwh - on my current tariff that is about £1.25. ($1.54)

the actual print of 2 x 1:1000 ships used around 750g in total - so a cost of around £13.50 ($16.70) in materials.

As previously mentioned I am not currently allowed by Carnival to do anything commercial with these designs / 3d prints- but it is interesting to know that this works out as materials and electric cost of around £7.50 ($9.25) per 1:1000 ship.

1:500 Model

For the 1:500 version. About 92 hrs print time, so 9.2kwh or £2.85. About 2.4kg of material - or £43.20 - So a total of about £46 ($57) basic material and electrical costs for the 1:500 version.

1:250 Model

For the 1:250 version - 247 hrs printing spread across 89 separate prints - so about 25kwh - so about £8 electricity, About 8.7kg of filament costing around £155 - so about £165 ($204) total electrical and material costs.

3 Likes

Is it the Arvia 1:250 files available right now at printables ? Seems a good thing to display at my home :star_struck:

1 Like