this is a discussion that is going to be highly varied due to the nature of laws regarding warranty and the different ways that each country handles it.
For example, if I purchase a car, and I make modifications to that car while it is under warranty, and the car fails, the warranty is not voided because I made modifications to that car, however, if the modification that I did can be demonstrated to have CAUSED that failure, then the claim would be denied.
I do not believe that the warranty laws in the US surrounding Chinese 3d printer manufacturers even exist. and this is only in respects to US and China, not any of the other countries.
I would argue that turning on developer mode means that the burden of proof would then be on you to demonstrate that the changes that you made, regardless of what they are, when you opted to into developer mode, did not cause the issue.
Well right there you’re changing what I said.
Like I said above: it depends on what we’re doing with it.
I suppose, in the hypothetical situation you want to propose, if your Home Assistant script were to suddenly implode and print 100 articulating dragons or whatever, yeah that would be on you.
If I turn on LAN mode, turn on Dev mode, refrain from installing the Bambu Connect bloatware, and then just print stuff normally. Why should the warranty be voided automatically? That’d be an absurd policy.
This was what initially came to mind when I was reading the update about the developer mode. As at first I was thinking why not a disabled by default ‘insecure/legacy mode’ option, which has its own little disclaimer about “any setting fire to your property is totally your own fault” and still have any of the standard checks the printer the printer normally has baked in (as there are some checks, right Bambu? Or are you solely relying on it being ‘secure’ ). Thus your warranty would be valid as long as it wasn’t a bad actor pulling your printers strings …
This is a bit of a problem. Safety feature? Compromise the unit? Those things are very much in question right now when we’re talking about a user running in LAN mode with no Internet traffic to the printer.
I think you’re reading way too much into this Dev Mode thing.
All I’m aware of that BL has said that Dev Mode would do is this:
Developer Mode (Optional): For advanced users of the X1, P1, A1, and A1 Mini who prefer full control over their network security, an option will be available to leave the MQTT channel, live stream, and FTP open. This feature must be manually enabled on the printer, and users who select this option will assume full responsibility for securing their local network environment. Please note that Bambu Lab will not be able to provide customer support for this mode, as the communication protocols are not officially supported.
I think I’m actually okay with that. It does this: leave the MQTT channel, live stream, and FTP open. (“Open” seems a little odd to say but whatever.) It’s just giving us what we always had in LAN mode, yes? I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong about that.
Who’s asking to screw with power settings or fan controls? And what does Dev Mode let us tinker with that we couldn’t tinker with without Dev Mode? Sure, void the warranty if we do that and it breaks something. That rule applies the same for everyone, dev mode or not.
No, it does not—how hard is that to understand? You made the conscious decision to disable a security function, so you should take full responsibility for any consequences that mode enables.
That’s what I’m trying to say - it depends on what you did to it (if anything). I don’t know or care how various other countries handle the case of warranty validity after modifications because it’s not pertinent to the situation I’m describing.
I’m not talking about modifications here, at all. Lord Satan ( funny username, no offense) is the one who keeps wanting to bring up modifications.
If all I do is turn these things on so I can use OrcaSlicer without the Bambu Connect bloat, that’s not a modification. I’ve been doing that already, without Dev Mode even being a concept in anyone’s mind. And it doesn’t void a warranty.
There is a big difference between… “Oh no, why did my printer just print a big dildo?” and “Oh no, why did my printer just set on fire?”… Until we know exactly what this developer mode does, this is all semantics. From the description Bambu provided of its functionality it could just as easily be named “insecure mode” or “legacy mode”.
I think we’ve already well established that Bambu Connect does not introduce any real security.
But I am willing to concede the point anyway. As I said in my first post with the *, if a “security issue” is the cause of a problem due to us using Dev mode, that can void the warranty - fine.
That’s how confident I am that a true LAN mode doesn’t open up any magical haxxoring security issues from people on the Internet, as long as it’s a real LAN mode. Void the warranty for “security issues”, sure. We don’t need a warranty for that.
Exactly, we don’t know what additional features or functionalities might be included in the developer mode, and those who choose to activate it must take responsibility for any consequences.
Well if “other stuff”, which I believe is complete speculation at this point, gets introduced with this Dev Mode thing… we’ll just have to update our opinions accordingly.
As I’ve mentioned in another post, I was able to bypass my friend’s firewall and stop his printer mid-print. It wasn’t particularly difficult and could have potentially caused damage. Claiming that a device is secure just because it’s on a LAN is a weak argument—true security only exists if the printer is isolated on its own network with absolutely no way to communicate in or out.
That said, as long as those advocating for developer modes don’t start complaining if or when something goes wrong as a direct result of enabling those settings, that’s fine. I’ve already made this point countless times.
If that happens, don’t honor the warranty if it’s the cause of damage. We’re willing to accept that risk. It all comes down to risk mitigation comfort levels. Even an air gapped network can be exploited so I don’t know what this “true security” concept is. Turning off the power I guess.
Adding Bambu Connect into the mix certainly isn’t true security anyway so I don’t think it will save BL from having to pay out if there really is some big attack on our hardware…
You need to turn it off, encase it in a Faraday cage, surrounded by at least 12ft of concrete, and drop it at the bottom of the deepest ocean… should be pretty secure then!
Yeah, no-one in their right mind will be taking this seriously as far as it being “secure”…
Just wait and see—when something inevitably goes south with your printers, we’ll probably hear a chorus of whiners. And if they decide to void your warranty, well, let’s just say, popcorn might be in order.
LAN users… should we be worried that Lord Satan seems especially eager to see our printers fail in a horrible and catastrophic manner so we can be mocked? Now I am concerned.
(I have to add this disclaimer that I’m totally joking here, no offense or whatever intended.)
I didn’t see that post but i have some things left unanswered.
How did you bypass his firewall? Or do you mean; i was at his place, connected to his wifi network after accepting the private or public mode prompt?
And how did you stop his printer mid-print? Was it on Lan mode? How did you get access to the lan access code that only is displayed on the printer itself?
Was it on cloud mode? How did you get access without his email and password?
Does not compute. You know that even if someone could login into my network, they could only get access to the printer if they were in front of it, right? That is the security that is in place and it’s way more secure than having a piece of software “offering” those keys.
But please explain if you don’t mind. I am really curious on how you did it because there are lots of variables missing in what you said.
No, the printer is set to LAN-only mode. Bypassing the firewall means you are not operating within the internal network, correct? I do not require his email or password.
Currently, I do not need to be physically present in front of the printer to access it or stop a print.
Why do you believe physical presence is necessary for access? The current security measures are, at best, insufficient.