Dual-sided smooth PEI plate vs High Temperature Plate

I just got the dual sided smooth PEI plate.

One thing I noticed is that it says PLA/ABS/PETG, while the high temperature plate says PLA/PETG/ABS/TPU/PC.

In the description on the website for the dual sheet, it gives instructions for pretty much all the filament types, including TPU, PC and the nylons.

I wonder why they only put PLA/ABS/PETG on the sheet. It is the same as the textured PEI sheet, they only put PLA/ABS/PETG, but give instruction on the web page for all filaments.

Also, I think because the stickers are so thick, 0.03 for high temperature vs 0.125 for the dual smooth PEI, that the stickers will probably not be replaceable and you would just buy a new plate when it wears out.

1 Like

This wiki page talks about the different plates and the differences between the high temperature and smooth PEI plate.

In the comments, somebody asked if the smooth PEI sheets were replaceable, Bambu replied and said it is not. Not really a big deal, buying two high temperature replacement sheets only cost 10 dollars less. And the steel is thicker and the PEI Is thicker and more securely glued to the steel plate.

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/filament-acc/acc/plates

1 Like

I was curious if the smooth PEI plate would avoid the issue where you see a slight raised area under your previous print.

I did a test, but it was just with the max flow calibration test in Orca slicer. When I pulled off the print, I saw the raised area, but a few hours later, the raised area was gone.

After I print some other models, I will make an update on how it compares to the high temperature plate and if the raised area goes away for prints with a larger surface area touching the plate.

If you ever do figure it out, please do post what the answer is. I’ve had similar questions, but I never could get a solid answer. Now that I’ve switched to garolite from practically everything, it’s almost a moot question, but I’d still like to know.

So it does look like the raised areas do go away on the dual smooth PEI. About 4 hours after removing a print it was almost gone.

If you stick the plate back in your printer and just set it to 100-120° C for like a half hour it smooths the surface back out.