Extruder blob - filament blob on printhead

I am trying to upload photos but I am still not allowed to. I did a lot of careful cleaning with a heat gun, brushes, tweezers, and wooden splints. I was able to remove a great deal of the mess. After that the hot end would heat up and stay that way. I did a test print and I seem to be operational again. There is a bit of distortion to the plastic parts caused by the heat gun.

Now can I upload photos? No. Can’t paste them in either. I need to post a few more times first.?

No, you need to read and fulfill the requirements to reach Trust Level 1.

1 Like

Anyway the way forward might be as you describe:
Warming up the blob and removing as much as possible.
The big issue if it is inside the print head is that you either overheat the electronics or the cables for heat sensor etc. are so much tangled with plastic that you will not able to remove them without damage.
Wirkst case you might replace some electronics.

Hope for a photo.

I can redirect people to another site to see some pictures. I’ve recovered the printer and it is working again. Thank you all for the ideas and feedback.

well… I was including the link to another site and… i’m not allowed to include links yet.

try 2

canadianhobbymetalworkers dot com/threads/failed-print-blob-mess-help.10718

1 Like

Happy to hear that you recovered the printer!
I imagine that this was a nerve-wracking job to get the plastic out of the print head without damaging anything else.

Then I wish you happy printing!

My printer is having a problem where whenever it tries to print, the extruder/nozzle just stays on the heat bed, so it extrudes while touching the heat bed, causing blobs. Can you fix this with calibration, and if so, how do I do it? I have a Bambu a1 printer