Filament Dryer for ASA

I have done it once, but for me the shrinkage was too unpredictable. So it is not useful for me, unfortunately.

Again. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

What is the ideal relative humidity for ASA?

I have it in my dryer right now and itā€™s ready 65%

Thanks

Usually 10-13% for most filaments, I am not looking at an ASA chart fyi.

I mostly wanted to point out that I live in a very high humidity region and my AMS sits around 16-19% when I add a new roll to the box or unjam the feed etc. On a nice dry season it will hover around 9-15%

Hope any of this helps you out!

Thanks, we live in California and itā€™s not very humid. Weird that itā€™s reading 65%

Itā€™s been running an hour at 70 degrees and dropped a few %

Iā€™ll keep it running and see what it drops to.

No problem!

I think the humidity is relatively low there currently, the weather reports 38% average across the state today. So seeing a reading of 65% is concerning.

There may be some discrepancy in sensory equipment readings here as there is a difference between Relative Humidity and Actual Humidity, but I am sure you know this already. I also have to assume you are using Fahrenheit?

I donā€™t want to begin miss-speculations that could lead you down the wrong path but one thing I notice with some filament dryers is that you need to ā€œburpā€ the air in the enclosure every so often if you are experiencing undesired moisture levels.

Some machines are inadequately equipped with inferior ventilation fans and can cause lots of inconsistencies like this.

If 70c I would double check my spec sheet as that sounds 5c off from the last stuff I used, but again, material differences, probably not human error.

First time where I see Vevor was on Aliexpress, now they have local websites on every continent ā€“ One of the distributers which I always check first, since so far I have always received good value for the money spend:

SS-06A / 85Ā°C

SS-10H / 90Ā°C

But I need to check it more carefully since my Filament Spool diameters are now up to 11.8 inch / 300mm

Thanks Kallvin, It has been running 2 hours at 70 degrees (the listed temperature for drying ASA) and has dropped to 40% RH.

Iā€™ll keep it going for another few hours before trying another print.

Cheers

40% RH is starting to sound much more in a normal range of my operational ends when drying during wet seasons, glad to hear itā€™s working itā€™s way out of the air in the chamber.

Cheers as well and happy printing!

long time listener, first time caller.

Alot of people on this thread have suggested food dehydrators, and i would like to second that. This option is a little more expensive than others in this thread, however I believe that if you can spend a little extra on this, and you print alot, or use the engineering materials, its definently worth it.

I went through 3 other air friers / dehydrators before deciding to just buy this. I also bought the SUNLU 4 filament spool dryer, its trash, it broke immediately after drying 1 spool of filament.

I cant include the link here so i ā€¦ spelled it out?
amazon dot com slash dp slash B0BYN1NDKV

Features :

• reaches temperatures to dry any material the X1C can handle.
  • dries 4 spools
  • big fan moves air all around
  • very long timer (problem for air friers / toaster ovens)
  • Feels not-crappy: steel body, and glass door feels ā€˜premiumā€™.
  • Looks like a wine fridge.

Cons:

• Temperature moves in increments of 5ish degrees, but this is a nitpick, has had 0 effect on drying efficacy.
  • Extremely loud beep when setting settings. If you need to secretly dry filament (your loved ones are sleeping), this can be annoying. However its again a nitpick, and from a safety perspective, this is an oven, and safety first (especially for sleeping loved ones).

On a side note, its ability to dry four filament spools = 1 AMS of filament makes my brain happy.

Thanks for sharing.
That dryer is indeed at a very appealing cost. I have never found similar specs at that price in the EU.

My setback with such a machine, made for non-home usage, is the size and power demand. But it may be reasonable considering four spools, and imagine you can also add the desiccant containers(?).
How long have you been running it? Did you measure consumption?

In any case, I also rely on (only two spools and 160ĀŗF limited) and believe that food dehydrators are (one of) the most cost-effective filament dryers.

1 Like