Firmware should prompt to clear bed after print

On the flip side, if the bed is too high removing the print can be difficult.
This actually happens if I cancel a print. The bed doesn’t lower enough to easily remove the plate without hitting the nozzle.

You killed a print, so lower the bed manually and dont kill the nozzle. Common sense if you ask me. My Cr10s doesnt even move when i kill a print.

1 Like

@Barryg41
I wasn’t saying that I didn’t know how to handle killing a print.

What you forgot your heat Ed had a part in it huh lol. When I print is do e take the part off the bed lol clear bed and prints again lol

As for part removal how do you propose the machine dose that hummm these are core xy machines not made for continuous printing, this is why the belt printers where designed.

Also you could destroy the bed if the printer t is stuck to it good and the machine e knocks it off the bed.

I suppose you could put a pause in the end gcode.

Personally I would like to see an AI check at the start of each layer - to check that the print looks like the slicer expected at that particular stage - the could include empty for the first layer.

2 Likes

All the naysayers in this thread have aged like milk considering the recent events.

Having to physical confirm a clear bed before the next print can begin is not only a brilliant idea for newcomers to the scene, it would have prevented (maybe not all, but definitely a significant portion) the sudden print jobs sent out all over.

1 Like

Although I’ve not forgotten removing parts (yet), I often forget removing flow calibration “lines”.
Prefer it laid new ones next to the old. Yes I know they can be disabled, stored etc.

I think a clear bed prompt, or better yet… the ability to detect a clear build plate(at least on x1) is a necessary addition.
I have multiple printers here in the office, as well as multiple users of the printers. Today, I checked the camera (looked clear) and then hit print. the bed was not clear…and the printer crashed, but continued to try and level the bed and then print? the heck?
none of my other printers will run without a clear bed acknowledgement, and it has saved us many times. We often send prints in from home, so we cant always physically check the printer for parts.

On the x1 models, it seems like the camera could be used to detect parts on the bed and stop a print from starting.

What bugs me the most, is that even the our printer threw a whole bunch of errors (from hitting the existing part) it kept trying to print. This, in my opinion, is not something I would ever expect from a machine that is as “smart” as this one.