First layer issues after 1350hours

I have 3 X1C printers.

#1 has 2050hrs
#2 has 1350hrs
#3 has 250hrs

All 3 printers print batches of the same few products. I print with PLA on a high temp plate. 220c/60c. No glue or hairspray.

#2 has developed a problem of the first layer not sticking. I’ve cleaned/ swapped plate between printers, swapped filaments between printers, ran the same 3mf on different printers.

I’ve changed the nozzle on #2, took apart the extruder and cleaned all the stuck material in the harden steel gear. Updated the firmware, re ran calibration.

Watching it looks almost like its not following the bed mesh and the z distance is getting to big.

Could be wet filament or dirty buildplate, that is what I’d fix first then reprint

As I mentioned before, I’ve cleaned plates/ swap plates/ swapped filaments/ dried filaments. No matter what it does this on this printer but the same plate and filament work fine when used on one of the other printers

You’re in an enviable positions to troubleshoot this problem since you have other printers to compare it to. This looks like a classic case of bed temps being too low. Have you tried measuring the actual temperature of the plate and comparing it against the other two printers?

Also, does it happen in the same spot on the build plate? That could be an indicator of bed heater failure or thermistor failure and it feeding incorrect temp values back to the controller board. It would need servicing which I believe one can find on the Wiki.

I use a cheap IR thermometer and a cheap IR camera from time to time just to ensure that what I dialed in, is in fact what was output. At least in my own situation, when I did experience a problem with the printer, it came down to operator error in that I failed to seat the plate correctly.

Alright, I dont know if anything of this will work but I’ll give you my 2 cents.

• Buildplates are consumables, are you sure the buildplate isnt spent? The text looks worn out on the picture.
  • Does the exact same print profile work with the exact same filament on the other printers?

I just pulled out my thermal imager and the bed is an even 62c

Then the thing left to do is to level the bed manually. However, you can also control it without having to turn the adjusting screws under the bed. To do this, run the calibration script for manual levelling. Take a sheet of paper, 80g Din A4 or so, fold it once sharply in the middle. When the nozzle approaches the positions, slide the folded paper underneath and push it back and forth a little to get a feel for the distance of the nozzle. Do the same for the other points that the nozzle moves to. If you feel a difference anywhere, you should re-level the bed.

I have now also had bad experiences with the stickers like the Cool Plate sticker. Although I haven’t printed much with it yet, the filament has been pressed down so hard that I couldn’t get it off. This, of course, slightly depresses the surface of the sticker. When I flipped the plate over to the engineering plate, the print worked fine there. I replaced the cool plate and it worked again. I didn’t use a glue stick before, rather other means or none at all. With the new plate I use Glue Stick from the beginning. Probably it has to do with the surface, the distance to the nozzle is wrongly recognised or something along those lines. Since I have been using Glue Stick on the new Cool Plate, I have had absolutely no problem at all. At least not until now. Maybe it is similar with you. Maybe Lidar is involved, in which case that would explain it. But that is only a guess. Maybe it’s worth trying to clean the Lidar scanner?

Have you tried a simple first layer test with all three printers as well as swapping plates? If there’s a defect in your plate or your bed, that will show up very quickly.

I liked this one because it was specifically designed for the Bambu plate and covers the whole plate in a single layer. I found that if one uses let’s say a 0.08 layer height it really is unforgiving if there are any issues. As an example, I thought I had cleaned my engineering plate thoroughly only to be told differently by this test.
https://www.printables.com/model/458112-bambu-lab-p1px1c-full-plate-first-layer-test-print/files

I didnt even realize there was adjustment knobs under the bed to manual tram these things. haha I’ll run the tramming g code after its done printing. Im betting thats where my issue is, hopefully

I find that a light scuff with a green brillo pad will often help to “renew” a plate. On flat PEI I will use very fine sandpaper (800ish grit) to scuff the service to rejuvenate it when prints stop sticking and washing doesn’t fix it. Probably not a fix for your problem as it seems that swichting the plate doesn’t solve the issue.

5 Likes

I guess the cause is somewhere you wouldn’t expect.

Please have a look here: