Further streamline LIDAR calibration setting and results, and Flushing

The calibration tab in Bambu Studio generally works well enough but can be tedious, especially when swapping filaments or generally just having many colors on hand.

While Flow Dynamics can calibrate the entire AMS contents at a time, Flow Rate is only able to do one at a time. Given the size of the test sample and the bed space available, Flow Rate should be available for all 4 slots.

In addition to the bed space available, it should be possible to perform both calibrations in succession on the same bed. This can potentially save time and effort when swapping entire sets of filaments or when updating on the fly, such as introducing a fresh spool.

Pressure advance results could be stored inside the filament profile in addition to the separate results. The current implementation does not make it very clear that the results are actually being used until it is reflected in the Device Tab. The naming scheme does not necessarily mean it’s binding.

Lastly, would it possible to have native support for Flushing Volume calibration. Having it would reduce the tedium for manually inputting values in the table everytime a color changes. Long term storage through a table of various filaments would be very helpful, reducing the need to keep an excel sheet handy.

Great suggestions.

Re the last point about storing and retrieving custom flush lengths.

I had a go at doing this on a mac with the keyboard maestro macro app if it is of any interest.

Its a bit cumbersome because the macro needs to go through every virtual extruder to build a table of currently configured filaments before saving or restoring manually set flush lengths but it did seem to work.

Published just a very simple one to see if there was any interest - but as there didn’t seem to be didn’t go any further.

1 Like

The AMT flush test works fairly well, however with a few caveats, namely White. The AMT test only shows bleeding at face value, what it doesn’t demonstrate are long term effects on residual amounts of filament between changes, especially with filaments that are just “stickier” by nature. At least with the White I own, after enough changes I’ve seen several colors just tint the White body like a drop of food coloring in a pitcher of milk.

Which in this case the conservative flushing estimate from Bambu is completely warranted.

That automation is pretty cool, maybe I could try something with Auto Hot Key

This is a particularly difficult problem when using a dedicated support filament. Purge volumes have to be very high to scour out any remnants of the support plastic when going back to the primary plastic, or layer adhesion will be negatively effected.

First time I printed PETG with dedicated support material, the print broke apart in my hands as I removed the supports. I thought it might be something I had done, so I ran the print without dedicated support filament and it was as strong as I expected it to be. I ended up with purge volumes in the 900+ range before the print was as strong as without dedicated support.

1 Like