Has anyone found a way to back rev their firmware?

Like many here, I can’t back rev my firmware. Has anyone found a workaround to go back from 01.07.01.00?

Except for occasionally needing to restore factory settings, I’ve had no issues using any of the X1C firmware versions.

There is always a deluge of complaints after a new firmware revision comes out.
“My prints don’t stick!”, “My nozzle scored the plate!”, “The temperature is wrong!”, “It’s printing from the wrong spool!” “This is terrible firmware that bricked my $10,000 investment!!!” “I’m gonna SUE!” :sob:
You’ll notice that the complaints are rarely universal, are not often addressed in future releases, but still magically disappear over time.

Coincidence does not imply causation.

X1+ is interesting and I might have tried it if I had heard about it before I updated to 1.07.01, but I don’t see anything there that is really essential . It’s probably just a matter of time until someone jailbreaks 1.07.01 or some future revision.

4 Likes

100%. Well said.

Yup.

6 Likes

I must respectfully disagree on this one point. There appears to be a plethora of complaints surrounding at least one issue on the P1 platform, that being the deprecation of LAN-only functionality. If you look at some of the posts, I recall at least four such posts that I responded to personally where folks identified the same issue, that being the following:

1. LAN-Only mode, does not connect.
  2. Requires password multiple times before connecting. Often this necessities a power cycling of the P1.
  3. In same mode, prints are sent to the printer and the printer simply fails the upload and/or just resets without an error message.
  4. Same mode but when switched back to cloud mode, mysteriously, functionality is restored only if jobs are submitted via the cloud service.

As the saying goes, “all the people can’t be wrong” and in this case, the silence from Bambu Support is deafening as multiple complaints on this front since 1.04 have arisen. They addressed some of these in 1.05 with negative affects. In other words, they made it worse. Then to add insult to injury, the blocked P1 users from back-revving to 1.03 which was the last stable LAN-only firmware.

1 Like

Just discovered a single link in the Firmware menu of the machine settings of Bambu Handy. Not sure if I just overlooked until now it, if it is new or if it is linked to the Firmware Beta testing toggle (which I also only discovered yesterday). Right below the usual screen end.
It reads “I want to update to an older version”.
It doesn’t do anything yet (no content for my X1C), but I do have a feeling that option is in the works.

Yes, there is a reason that I included a qualifier. Sometimes they get it wrong, I just have not yet encountered such a bug.

1 Like

Actually, the option was available, for a day or two. After the 1.07.01 update, the Handy app did offer 1.07.00 or 01.06.05.01 for rollback choices. That was at about the same time that someone came up with the X1+ dual boot option and Bambu did not like that. Since the X1+ installation required 1.07.00, Bambu removed all the content from the rollback page.

I understand Bambu not wanting to support printers with the X1+ firmware, they are already swamped with support problems without throwing in issues that might have been caused by third party firmware. But the manner in which they have removed the rollback choices and failed to publicly address the issue is very disappointing. Firmware can have bugs, and being able to roll it back can not only prove the source of the problem but also keep the printer working until the bug is squashed.

2 Likes

Hi Ikraus,

Many thanks for the insight :smiley:
I was busy churning out christmas pressies at the time and did not update until much later in the month.
Since then, my LIDAR has been playing up. Coincidence? Well, with roughly quarterly Firmware updates, 1 out of 3 random tickets will actually be within a month of a Firmware update. So yeah, there will be quite a few issues being projected onto the latest Firmware that have other root causes. Nevertheless, bugs will always occur with any meaningful program and the rollback option, if/when it comes back, should enable Bambu support to breathe a little easier.

It is a shame that the same virtues that tends to be cherished by Bambu’s major customers, such as openess and transparency, do carry a different weight in Bambu’s home base.
Olias post’s on his experiences were both entertaining and insightful. :smile:
Makes it easier to understand why a particular course of action is closed to some companies. :+1:

Many thanks and best wishes,
Eno

There is a way to roll back but its not going to be discussed on here. There’s a reason why most these things are private.

That being said get ready for forced firmware updates. If you’re connected to the internet or running the app a firmware update can be forced without your knowledge. And they can make the software do a firmware check and not work for older firmware. And legally there’s nothing you can do because they would say it there is an issue that they had to patch and that this force firmware update was for safety.

2 Likes

Well that was a lucid blog post from Spaghetti Monster and welcomed openness if the follow through with it.

Well, where is it discussed?
I’m sick of having a brick, and losing in the ‘will they respond to my ticket’ lottery.
I’d really love to get my machine running again.

It is not yet publicly available. And it’s only been done for the X1. Here’s the post I made mention of above from the other day on this topic. Follow the YouTube link.

Why does it have to be a “one-way-ticket”? Why not make it possible for the customer to “come home” whenever they want? If they have some kind of an issue what is wrong with flashing it over to the latest Bambu firmware and see if that fixes it? If the customer goes to an unsupported firmware and has an issue he gets no support until the machine is back to a supported configuration.

I would wait a bit. I expect that once the open-source firmware becomes available, within a few weeks, there will be information on how to replace the current motherboard with a Raspberry Pi, and custom motherboards will soon follow. With open-source firmware, maybe it will be easy to build electronics capable of running it. In this case, the original mainboard can be replaced or restored if necessary, with the official firmware.

1 Like

If you could only modify the apk to look at a different server for the firmware file…hint hint. And yes it works.

1 Like

I found the screen lock feature on the third-party firmware quite interesting until I learned it can be bypassed by simply removing the SD card!
The developers shot themselves in the foot by telling Bambu Lab how they put a bootloader on the FW, stupid mistake

Or did they? Now they have full access to root with Bambu consent.

4 Likes

Please pm me about this more information hehe

I was able to downgrade via Bambu Handy from my Smartphone just a few days ago. Going back to 1.03.xxx from 1.05.01.00. Now my prints are reliable again. Had many problems with inconsistent first layer, bad layer, corners, etc. with 1.05, so I go back to 1.03. Don`t want neither need some 3rd party thing.
Just want a perfect working 3D-Printer :slight_smile:

2 or 3 days I had the oppurtunity to update again to 1.05 but now its gone. Don`t know why.

Updated to 1.05.02.00, but didn’t do the noise reduction. Works good, but still looks like the quality is a little lower than before.