How bad are the problems really?

A update after owning the printer for 5 days: I’m glad I bought it! A huge bump in the overall experience, coming from an Ender 3 V2 Neo…
The AMS is game changer!

I had non of the adhesion issues yet (knock on wood). All my prints stick really well to the bed, and I stopped running bed leveling on every print!. When the bed cools, the prints are loose and need no wiggling to pull out.

The only issues I faced was with tree support, which is the only type of support I tried. 1 our of every 4 supports is failing (usually from the middle) and I’m not sure how to fix that!

Luckily this is not causing catastrophic failures since my objects can still be used with one failed support.

Did any one figure out how to fix the tree support failure? Thanks!

They just started working without me changing anything. When before they were collapsing, breaking, wrekcing havoc all over the print bed, now they just print perfectly. Macro shot of layer touching the print.

1 Like

ah, forgot to mention, I signed up for beta program and am like 1 patch ahead of ‘regular’ versions : o

I shouldn’t expect it, but that’s exactly what I got with my A1. I know there is a big uproar over the A1 right now but mine has been nothing short of fantastic. I haven’t touched any settings in Bambu Studio. Literally unboxed, assembled and hit print. The benchy it produced was better quality than any benchy I had ever printed with my Ender.

2 Likes

I have a glowforge as well. Great machine that had a learning curve in the beginning. Once I figured it out, I’ve had very few issues. Same with 3D printing

I’ve had the A1 for a month. I’m printing throughout the day, every day. At least twice a week I’m cleaning up a big mess from a print failing. This is what happened yesterday. And I’m now at a loss of how to clean this one up…

Edit: I found this, which may want to follow: Extruder blob - filament blob on printhead

Do you have idea on why this happened? Is the failed print due to the hotend scratching the infill like people are reporting?

I’ve been printing everyday as well and I was surprised at how well everything was going… until yesterday. I had the first failure -possibly due to an issue with tree support failure, or due to using a respooled filament. I was able to place a screw driver behind the hotend and gently remove it, since it was stuck.

My blob though was much smaller than this; mostly around the hotend, but it was a pain to clean with a sharp knife. Luckily after cleaning it, the A1 printed the next object like nothing has happened.

I feel like there should be a method put in place to avoid this problem. I had an Ender 3 before, and never had a blob issue like this from failed prints.

Anyone can chime in on how to avoid such catastrophic failures in the future?

Not to sound harsh but the best way to avoid this is to keep an eye on your print.

2 Likes

The only thing I miss about my Ender 3 is the ability to detect failed prints and pause/cancel the print. All done through Obico and Octoprint.

Realistically speaking, nobody sits in front of a printer for 10 hours a day to detect failures…

1 Like

Yeah, Lesson learned.

I have had the machine “blob” twice on me. PIA to clean up. Heating the extruder is the only solution Ive come across. Unfortunately I can not heat up my extruder because a temp sensor is malfunctioning… :expressionless:

Soldering iron with an old tip and tweezers works well. Don’t ask how I know.

2 Likes

Looks like your extruder created a wormhole in another dimension and some worms are trying to escape :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve setup this yesterday and got it working GitHub - bdwilson/obico-bambu-octoprint: Workaround to get Obico spaghetti detection to work on Bambu printers via Octoprint virtual printer

I haven’t tested it extensively but finger crossed - this might help in avoiding catastrophic failures in the future.

Additionally yesterday’s update lists the following, which I hope will help reduce such failures:

A1 version 01.02.00.01 (20240206)

• Introduced ‘Nozzle Clumping Detection’ which can automatically detect filament clumping on the nozzle.
2 Likes

Hi,
I had such blob and wrote: Extruder blob - filament blob on printhead.
So clearly I remember that shocking moment when I saw it the first time.
As there was nothing on the Bambu Forum I searched around the internet a lot.
Conclusion out of that: if you can’t heat up your hotted anymore - like by sensor failure. You have to CAREFULLY heat up the blob by other methods. You can find hot air blower - wich is kind of dangerous as it might melt further parts of your printer. Or use soldering iron. Luckely I did not need that but I assume heating up the metall of the nozzle if reachable might help to get most of the blob removed easily. I just can give the advice to stay patient, act carefully and use not much force - if the blob is warm enough it will come of easily - be careful of course it will be extrem hot in some parts.

I had that blob experience twice after, lucky me on an earlier stage as I was randomly looking at the print. I can tell even stairing at your prints will not hinder the printer to create such blobs as you need some seconds to realize what is going on and than you try to stop the print in a hurry which is normally taking longer than you expect. Plus you don’t want to run the printhead in the stop position over the p*** shoot as the hot blob might damage more than already is damaged.

Basically I think this “watch your print” advice is kind of not realistic and will not prevent this event from happening - may just make it less terrible.

If you still have trouble to remove the blob - let us know here. I will try to find the other tutorials that I found for this topic.

1 Like

BEST ANSWER! :raised_hands: This is what i do.

1 Like

I damaged my hotend assembly trying to clean off the blob. Is it possible to repair the assembly or am I looking a purchasing a new part?

What part of the hot end did you damage?

2 Likes

The bronze wires connecting to the assembly

Cheapo toaster oven set to 350 degrees will liquify the filament easily.