Is this oil OK for maintenance?

I couldnt find any other oil near me, is this ok to use on the Y & Z-axis linear rods?

No idea but oil is not grease. I wouldn’t risk it.

If you re-oil frequently, it’ll probably be OK. Z stage might even work a little better. But oil isn’t going to “stick” in the threads like grease. If you don’t keep the screws wet, the wear rate will go up and the ball screws will be ruined.

Most hardware stores and car parts stores will have white Lithium grease. That’d be a better option… they actually make lubricants specifically for ball screws, but any decent “light weight” Lithium grease will be about as good.

2 Likes

Jus don’t get anything with “silicone” in it as it can cause bed adhesion problems.

You are not supposed to use grease on the x y linear rods

Im not talking about the screws, for the screws you need to use grease as per the bambu lab maintenance guide, but for the linear rods they suggest using synthetic oil for cleaning and lubrication

I dont know why they call them y and z axis rods, they are only y-axis rods right? Z-axis are the screws correct?

Not that I ever read. They specifically say NEVER lubricate those rods. They’re Carbon Fiber and the bearings are Carbon. Self-lubricating. All you’re supposed to do is wipe them down with a clean rag and Isopropyl Alcohol.

Sorry, I did not realize you were talking about the XY motion stage.

2 Likes

X-axis carbon rods: Wiki says clean with IPA only.

Y-axis rods: Wiki only says to use an “anti-rust” oil, but it does suggest Super Lube 52004 Synthetic Lightweight Oil. I’ve used 3-in-One oil, Gunk Super Oil, and an unbranded sewing machine oil, whichever was closest at the time.

Z-axis screws: Wiki says lube with BX-300/F series grease, or Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE, or Lucas Oil 10533 White Lithium Grease. I use Sil-Glyde, a silicone grease that I know is superior to white lithium grease and which I always have on hand.

1 Like

For the metal rods, any lightweight machine oil is good. I use “sewing machine” oil. Not because it’s special or anything, but because I inherited an 8Oz can of the stuff from my father about 30 years ago and I still haven’t used it all up… Just a drop on the rods after wiping them down.

There is actually a Lithium grease specifically for ballscrews. I have some because it’s spec’d for use on my Form3 SLA printer. Works fine on the X1C’s screws, too.

1 Like