Linux build for the Bambu Lab Studio

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I bought the P1S by naively assuming without research, that there is a Linux Version available; were in the makerspace, right? Was quite surprised that there was none, resulting in half a day cursing and swearing until I came upon that AppImage. Well, its an AppImage ā€˜onlyā€™ which is not optimal, tbh, but never the less I am very greatful that the internet once more did its thing and provided a solution. Half a day bad mood is acceptable. I had longer periods of bad mood with other printers, so heyā€¦ progress! So, thank you for providing a Linux version at all, its highly appreciated from my side.

1 Like

I have absolulety no ideas what you are speaking about : there is no such thing like a ā€œglobal app marketplaceā€ in linux. So you can NOT expect to find every single application in what may be offered by your distribution (fedora, debian, ā€¦) - each distribution provides some packages through their internal package manage, but thatā€™s all, and itā€™s a very small subset compared to what is available. Many applications have anyway on linux to be installed by other ways (AppImage, Snap, extra package manager (AUR for ArchiLinux / Manjaro), compilation from source).

Also, with Bambu ecosystem, you can also now skip the ā€œBambu Lab Studioā€ local installation and use the web ā€œMaker Worldā€ MakerWorld, which allows to directly send from the web the prints to your printers (without the need of a slicer installed in local). This is interesting for beginners (but there are less possible customization regarding the slicing process, of course).

I use Bambu Sudio on Debian 11 and it doesnā€™t cause any problems

1 Like

Can you please give me a hint, how to start? Iā€™m using Debian 12.4

Edit:
Now I got Bambu Studio running on Debain 12.4
Solution was for me to remove the package gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly while ignoring dependencies to libreoffice. Than I was able to install libwebtit2gtk-4.0-37 completely, and then the AppImage was working.

@schuetzi99
Pardon the interruption, but I just received an email notification from this site concerning your post and I have no idea why I got it. Nowhere in this thread is my id (IslandBill) mentioned.

May I ask to whom you were replying? I ask because Iā€™ve noticed that threading in this forum is awful.

As for the gist of this thread, I might suggest you run a VM on a box and load up your primary O/S and then VM Windows or anything else you might want to consider. The VM route will allow you to run any O/S in a virtual environment so that you can run multiple O/Sā€™s simultaneously.

UPDATE - I posted this message and am now editing it.
After posting, I noticed it does not reflect to whom Iā€™m replying. Iā€™m replying to schuetzi99. I edited the post by putting @schuetzi99 as the first line in the post. One would expect that a reply would automatically link the post to the person being replied top.

The forum will link your post to the post you are replying to IF it is further up the chain. If your post follows the post you a relying to it will now show the link but the person will get a notification that you have replied.

4 Likes

I was answering user_430260330. In this answer, your user name is desplayed on top, so I hope that the notification will take the right way. Thatā€™s a bit confusing me :wink:

There is no other way to describe what you say is the forumā€™s policy other than itā€™s plain stupid if what you say is true. No other forum I know of is this poor in its thread handling. My post to @schuetzi99 is to try to figure out why Iā€™m even mentioned in this thread. He makes no mention of to whom he is replying and his post is therefore disconnected unless someone knows of the secret sauce this site uses in its threading illogic.

In short, the threading on this forum is the worst Iā€™ve ever experienced anywhere and as a professional software developer, Iā€™ve been on dozens of forums since the beginning of the Internet.

The forum is a pretty standard Discourse implementation. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

It is odd behavior but check your preferences as there is a setting to email you when ā€œnew activity in my watched categories, tags or topicsā€

@IslandBill My guess is that you are following this topic and the new post trigger an email to be sent. You donā€™t have to be tagged for this to happen.

4 Likes

@schuetzi99
I read your reply and still canā€™t figure out where my ID is mentioned. Iā€™ve done the Ctrl-F search and Iā€™m only mentioned in the comments I made due to yours as a result of the email notification I received from this site.

When I seek out the comment by @user_430260330, I can find no mention of me. I suspect what you see and what I see are different somehow. This is maddening.

I think JonRaymond is correct in that you got an email because you are ā€œTrackingā€ this topic, and hereā€™s (I think) why: It seems to me this weird forum decides to auto-track any topic you spend more than x seconds or minutes watching. This may explain it.

Now, how to disable that ridiculous behavior of Discorse, I have no idea - but Iā€™d love if someone could tell me. Iā€™m usually un-tracking any topic I reach the borrom of, unless I actually want to follow it. I would very much like it the opposite way, and manually track when I want to.

1 Like

OK I found it:

Pretty stupid defaults.

Iā€™m personally using this from now on.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out.

Iā€™ve been on tech sites since the Internet came into being; yeah, Iā€™m old. This application has the worst threading of any Iā€™ve ever encountered.

To hide to whom a reply is meant as some kind of feature is ridiculous. The screen real estate is there and to just leave it empty so the user has to assume itā€™s the post just above makes no sense.

To arbitrarily bring someone into a discussion with no warning, no reason, is what confused me and again, the threading has no way to account for this.

I just changed my settings as you suggested so some random number generator doesnā€™t tap me again.

Much appreciated.

The ā€œEmailā€ tab allows you to set if and when the site will email you as well.

2 Likes

@JonRaymond Thanks for the contact and suggestion. I believe I have the email set up as needed and havenā€™t had any unanticipated email activity except for when the system got me involved in a conversation by surprise.