Matirial Change on external Spool

Is there a possibility to change material on the feed of the external spool? Possibly it sounds a bit strange, but it happens a lot that I print TPU on ASA, especially when it comes to vibration dampers with mounting plates. Fine-tuning by trying out several Induvell-made damper strengths by 3D printing is really a wonderful story. Also stamps are made very quickly…

1 Like

It is not strange and possible. You can use “change filament” at a specific layer or the colour painting tool.
However, ASA and TPU will result in conflicts because of the temperature differences.
The only alternative I recall comes with added risks and consists of editing the g-code manually.

1 Like

So it`s just the colour painting tool and assining both of them to the external spool - i will try this.

I agree with you about the risks - but that separates the chaff from the far. By the way “Print sequence by object” makes hope on a option like printed by zones - which opens up another never-ending topic like low-distortion layer construction which also touches the subject connecting of non-connectable materials. But since this will take a few years or decades more, the temperature ranges from ASA to TPU are simply to solfe - just never drop the temperature. The temperature can only rise in the layer structure. As also remember that there is not only ASA from Bambulab. But all at everyone’s own risk.

However, I call 3D printing the latest welding process… And when it comes to layer adhesion, then it becomes for sure as relative as time.

A short addendum: 3rd materials - when even not required in the construction, are often used for flushing. They are also used because they can add. to two materials which can not add; So material C can connected to material A and B. Material A and B cannot so material C is placed between A and B…

I tried painting and at layer change (preview tab), and it worked; unless there were changes with the last updates, you can use the one that better suits your case. The change filament at a layer is available in the preview tab:

However, if the two materials are ASA and TPU, it will result in an error message:

So, for printing the two materials, you need to “cheat” the machine, i.e. edit the printing g-code.
I mentioned risk not by the materials combination, as you already stated to have experience with it, but because of the need to manually set the g-code. It may be easy since you´ve been doing this for a while.

1 Like

I wonder if you can just force it by telling it youre using 2 of the same material even though you arent. Theres no rfid for external spools. May just have to manually change the settings before hitting continue on the 2nd filament.

Great thanks - You are my hero of the day! Adjusting the printer settings should solve the problem. My ASA supplier has Nozzel temperatures of 215-240°C and the TPU at Shore 58D Nozzel temperatures of 230-260°C. Very likely reduce the printing speed and then everything should work at the usual 240°C… DuraPro ASA from Extrudr Fillament Austria Europ. However everthing at there own risks

Since i doing this for a while? Well i just do it on Cura. I like TPU aspechaly of its UV and Chemical resistance for outdoor use. ASA i just have in one case which leades to an incredibla benefite on a really spechale produkt for an industrial use. Welding is a process that joins materials, by using heat or force in a melting zone with or without welding filler. Yes, I have a bit of experience there. For 2 decades, however, only in subordinate consideration of the well-being of a whole machine and now more and more it`s only all about overarching systems… and for 8 years no company has brought me on a plane, that’s something for younger people :wink: But enjoy digging through material data sheets and dealing with layer construction… didn’t think there would be anything to read about it, interesting…