My list of issues/deficiencies with the X1 and BS

I agree on all points. Unfortunately, it seems my ability to edit my own posts has been revoked.

Maybe because the post is too old? I was out of town when the BS/FW updates dropped, and I wanted to give it a few days to make sure the new features and fixes from the patch notes were actually implemented correctly before updating. Then between the holidays and family medical stuff, I may have let it go too long.

I’m checking with someone to see if anything changed because last I knew you should be able to edit forever.

Not sure if it’s diagnostically relevant, but while I am able to edit the reply I made earlier today, I am not able to edit any of the other replies I’ve made in this thread.

Try now. We believe you should be able to now.

1 Like

Yes, editability has returned. Thank you.

1 Like

Did you get any feedback from Ciprian about this??

Top post edited. Here’s hoping for more fixes in future updates.

Regarding this, a problem would be if a user has multiple printers with an AMS, which one should it bring up and populate right away? Perhaps it should refresh all printers online with an AMS so when you select that one it is ready to go in slicing. But the problem is for each and every printer you have it do a check on it takes time. 1) it has to reach it, it takes time to time out if the printer is offline. 2) it takes time to query that printer and get that. All before Bambu Studio finishes loading? Might not be bad for 1 printer. But what about 2? or 3? or 10? Or a farm of 50? This is why we go to the device tab select the printer. It refreshes, then you go back to prepare. You then have to choose to refresh because what if a user doesn’t want it refreshed. What if they want to slice for material not in the AMS, you then create extra work for them. Especially if it changes what you might have been working on already, and you went to devices tab to see status of the current print, then go back to prepare. If it auto refreshes filaments it might change what you have been working on. Just a few thoughts that came to mine on why this might be problematic.

It is. That is the Chamber fan.

Hi Mortal Wombat,

Thank you for summarizing and sharing with us the issues and deficiencies with the X1 and BS
I have also noticed that there is a button now to sync the AMS back to the slicer, but it’s subtle. nice write!

When I start BS, it automatically loads my printer. I only have one so I don’t know its behavior if you have multiple, but I assume it either loads the last printer you used or loads the first printer that was attached to your account. Either way, BS should load the AMS(s) contents for whatever printer it loads by default when the software starts.

Whoops, missed that. Updated.

As far as I understand BambuStudio loads the last project presets while starting up (in case you don’t open it with loading a 3mf-file).

In all honesty, as long as we don’t have the possibility to custom preset filaments into the AMS FW I don’t like that during startup of BS it would prepopulate the filament settings from the AMS. This would only add additional workload to reset everything to my filament presets and proune to failures in overseeing this step.

Crossed our a few more issues that have been fixed. Ping me if you notice any more.

2 Likes

Why not as a cloud solution (that should be possible to download and add offline for those that can not acces the cloud/ online connection due to enterprise/ university/ privacy… reasons)
That´s what the CD-Ripping software does perfectly: if I put a silver disc in my PC to make it mp3 and somebody did it before me, I don´t have to type everything again. And if I´m the first person to do it, it helps others.
Community work!

I’ve created a feature request on github for the NFC tags to be user writeable.

1 Like

unrelated, but… do you watch dr disrespect by any chance? :flushed:

Crossed out a couple more issues that have been fixed in recent updates. Keep the fixes coming, Bambu!

in order to add redundant clarity to an already clear list:

When a user selects a filament from the database, (local or cloud) they are picking from, or creating a new, Class of filament. I.e. “BobCo’s PLA - Fire engine red”. the spool they have in hand gets a unique ID in the database (again, cloud or local) #ABC123ETC. the previous calibration specs for “BobCo’s PLA - Fire engine red” get related to spool #ABC123ETC. This (or some human readable) ID that is only valid locally to that user should be available / settable in BS.
The user should then get the option to (re) calibrate this spool, and if re-calibrated, at any time while using this spool (including automatically after calibration?) the user should be able to contribute the calibration data. That calibration data is added to the databases under the class of figment, and the spool.

since calibration specs are associated to the class and the spool. its possible to track the calibration specs through time for BobCOs filaments, as well as analyze for other trending conditions, like ambient temp and humidity at the time of calibrations. Also outliers can be automatically detected, and rejected when compiling the “official” aggregate configuration for “BobCo’s PLA - Fire engine red”.

all this data could easily be local and / or cloud.

full re-calibration at request should be an option.

when choosing a filament from your local inventory, you should easily be able to tell BS (RFID / Human readable spool ID) that I’m using a spool I have already setup / calibrated.

add something here about filament run-out / changing to a new spool of the same type being easier…

just my 2 cents

1 Like

and one could imagine that BobCo might want to partner with BambuLabs to have access to all of this user contributed calibration data, in that way, BobCo can offer better experience to there customers, and can also track changes in time on there flagship Fire-EngineRed filament.

Better experience for users, and Bambu labs and even BobCo.