I have been involved in 3D printing for around seven years and during that time I have used many different platforms, slicers and user interfaces. But I honestly cannot understand the decision to make the Assembly View the default view on MakerWorld.
In my opinion, the Plate View should come first — not only for single-part models, but in general.
When I look at a model, the first things I want to know are:
-
How are the parts arranged on the build plate?
-
How many build plates do I need?
-
How much printing effort is actually involved?
-
How have the individual parts been prepared for printing?
These are the basic pieces of information I need before I even start thinking about assembly.
If a model needs to be assembled, I usually need assembly instructions or at least some additional information anyway. In that case, I see absolutely no problem with having the Assembly View just one click away.
At the moment, the order feels completely backwards to me.
First I am shown an Assembly View, even though what I actually want to know at that moment is what I have to print and how it is arranged. The Plate View, which I consider far more important, is hidden behind an additional button — and many users do not even notice that button.
On top of that, in most cases I can already see what the fully assembled model looks like in the model images. That is exactly what those images are there for. So the Assembly View often does not show me anything fundamentally new, while the Plate View provides information that is usually not visible in the normal model images at all.
For me, the more logical order would be very simple:
Plate View by default → Assembly View available with one click
The Assembly View is a useful additional feature. The Plate View, however, shows the actual foundation of the 3D printing process.
I want to be very clear about this: UI decisions like this make MakerWorld unnecessarily frustrating and, for me personally, increasingly less appealing to use. Not because features are missing, but because I feel the wrong information is being prioritized.
Please reconsider the default view. In my opinion, the Plate View should always be shown first.