PETG finish changes mid print

I get very consistent glossy PETG by slowing outside walls to 60 or 50 mm/s - should have minimal effect on print time for most prints.

2 Likes

This was the key, thanks. Now the whole part(s) come out with the same glossy sheen across the whole print.

2 Likes

Glad you got everything sorted!

If Iā€™m understanding correctly, I think changing the ā€œMin Print Speedā€ to 60 mm/s or disabling ā€œSlow printing down for better layer coolingā€ would also solve the issue, and allow you to use this preset every time you print with this filament.

New member hereā€¦ and new owner of a P1P. Iā€™ve printed several PLA models (starting with Benchy boat) using default settings, and all the PLA models have turned out excellent.

Now Iā€™m trying PETG from Overture. Iā€™m using the textured PEI plate. First try I selected generic PETG in Bambu Studio, and tried printing a coffee mug model with default settings. Horrible stringing and also very matte finish.

Notes: The room temperature is fairly cool at about 65Ā°F. Room humidity is extremely low at 30% or lower. I am not noticing any ā€œsizzleā€ or ā€œpopsā€ from the nozzle, and no noticeable bubbling in the print, which I understand is hints of excessive moisture.

For the stringing I tried modifying only the Retraction Length filament Setting Overrides:
Length = 2mm

This seems to have helped the stringing quite a bitā€¦ not completely gone but acceptable. But the matte finish still looks bad and varies from slight splotches of shiny.

In an attempt to improve the shine I changed the following filament settings:
Flow ratio = 1
Nozzle print temperature = 265 (both Initial and Other layers)

Third attempt on the cup - at about 3/4 way up the cylinder, the matte finish began gradually changing to shiny.

The next change was focusing on slowing the print speed.
Printer > Other layers speed > Outer wall = 100
Filament settings > Part cooling fan > Slow printing down for better layer cooling (checked)

Iā€™ve resorted to printing Benchy as a test after each change. The Benchy starts out somewhat shiny, but as the print progresses (above an imaginary waterline on the boat) the hull reverts to a matte finish again. The smokestack on top is a very nice gloss though.

HELP! What am I doing wrong, or am I ā€œmissing the boatā€ here on something??

So are you saying model design features has a large impact? Would you recommend unchecking the ā€œslow printing downā€ in filament settings?

I believe the first Benchy I printed had that uncheckedā€¦ with no improvement.

Iā€™m trying to achieve the surface results which 0x80O0oOverfl0w posted above. Iā€™m using the same filament he used, but are there any specific settings I should be looking at which would help me get there? I would think a Benchy wouldnā€™t be that difficult to get that shine??

It is a ā€œSpeedproblemā€. To counter this, i have Set the ā€˜outer wallā€™-speed to 50mms.

IT helps to get much better quality.

I tried a new Benchy boat with this setting at 50mmsā€¦ BEAUTIFUL! Now for the coffee mug testā€¦ again! I have high hopes!

Update: The coffee mug turned out really niceā€¦ very shiny with just very minor ā€œcobwebbingā€ of filament across the interiorā€¦ which came off easily with a fingernail scrape! Thanks Lucyna_Kushinada for your tip!

1 Like