PLA Tough going Away?

on sorry that was the wrong file. the free one is here: Free 3D file [Japanese Capsule Toy Machine]EduColon(Free Model Set) 🏗・3D printable model to download・Cults

I have printed 3 of these machines, and the PLA Tough for the internal mechanism is the only stuff that works in the PLA category; all 3 machines are still working 6 months after I printed them. Not sure if I’ll be printing another one of these machines, but just wanted to find another PLA that’s got the same properties as Pla Tough (or at least similar.) I might just buy some bulk rolls of PLA Tough and store them.

For the cogs/gears, I believe this would be the bending strength. I’m not sure about the shafts as I can’t really see the model properly without building it.

Bambu lists a very high value for this for PLA Tough (87 +/- 4 MPA) which is higher than the equivalent product from most of the large filament companies like Sunlu or Esun. However, it’s comparable to Prusament PLA (83 +/- 6 horiz, and 99 vertical). The problem is that is very expensive filament.

However, the designer of the model recommends printing with 20% infill, if you printed solid like 100%, i am sure it would hold with most PLAs.

It’s the sort of part thing i’d print a spare of, or use a different material than PLA.

Let the textured plate cool and PETG separates without issues in my experience. If using a smooth plate, I’ve pre-sprayed with glass cleaner and had no issues. Spray and wipe evenly/off with lint-free paper or cloth. Also cool to remove.

1 Like

i was eyeing up prusament as my alternative, but yeah the price had me uncertain. I only need a back-up roll should my 3 machines break, or any other prints I need to do like them, so I might just bite the bullet and invest in a prusament spool should my PLA Tough reserves get used up.
Thanks for the suggestions/tips.

Just saw on the shop site this is happening and I’m pretty disappointed, hope there is an alternative in the works. PLA Tough has been really useful in my applications, just ended up stocking up on some more before it vanishes :frowning:

I just saw that and ordered a bunch as I love the way it prints and my product development has tabs that break with PLA but work great with PLA+. I will need to find a replacement PLA+ and am sad because this product worked perfectly for my product in every way.

4 Likes

PLA-CF is what I’m guessing is the best replacement for PLA Tough if you need extra strong PLA from Bambu specifically. It’s more expensive, needs to be dried out and requires a hardened nozzle, but is also stronger and looks real nice.

I think you’re right. They don’t have PLA Tough on their Filament Guide, but it does look like that’s where they’re positioning PLA-CF. I really like it from an aesthetic perspective, but print all my functional parts with PA-CF so can’t comment on its strength.

pla_vs_pla-cf

I really recommend the Tough Pro PLA+ from 3D-Fuel. Yeah, it’s spendier for a PLA (but has qty discounts), but it’s tough as hell and it’s manufactured in the USA. It’s available in 40 colors, too, which is quite a bit better than any other tough PLA on the market that I’m aware of.

$40/roll is a hard sell when competition is so fierce in this space. I’m all for made in the USA products (atomic filament is excellent), but a $20 upcharge for a product that isn’t much/any better than the competition is a recipe for failure.

There’s tons of great brands out there these days. Don’t overspend on filament.

Atomic doesn’t have a Tough PLA option. They have their regular PLA for $30/kg, comparable to 3D-Fuel’s Standard PLA+ at $29/kg.

One of the only other Tough PLAs I know compares mechanically to the 3D-Fuel is Matterhackers Pro Series Tough PLA which is $57/kg. 3D-Fuel’s is a bargain by comparison.

Sunlu, overture, polymaker, esun, etc. all make “tough” PLA, which honestly doesn’t hold much of a meaning. Basically it means it’s not as brittle as normal PLA so it bends more before it breaks. What makes the 3d fuel “tough” PLA that much better? For it to be worth $40/roll it would need to have higher heat deflection, less creeping, etc.

It’s over 4x the impact toughness. This is not just another PLA+. It’s truly a tougher material. Higher heat resistance, too. It’s passed the hot car during a Phoenix summer test. It also has excellent layer-to-layer bonding. A lot of RC guys use it since it can take such a beating. There are a lot of people in the 3D2A community that use it for their prints, too.

Source for this? According to their own TDS the glass transition is the typical PLA temps (55-60c) while the only heat deflection temp they give is for an annealed piece with 100% infill. If this material is really as good as you want it to be, I’m surprised there’s been no videos on it. Usually the lab guys (Stefan and Igor mainly) put the materials through the paces.

It seems to be mostly anecdotal. I’ve read about people saying that the prints held up just fine in their cars in the summer. I think what’s happening is the part has enough thermal stability that it anneals in place with the temperature ramp up as the car heats up in the sun.

I’ve heard rumors they discontinued PLA Tough so they can focus on more special and limited edition filaments, such as the new PLA Galaxy and limited edition PLA Dynamic. I don’t have any proof to confirm, but given how frequently regular PLA is out of stock from Bambu’s Store I’m sure they’re also trying to get a better grip on their inventory overall.

1 Like

I think a lot of people get “Tough” and “Strong” mixed up. In material science, tough has a very specific meaning-- which is a high resistance to shock load without fracturing. Toughness is the opposite of brittle and is usually a highly ductile material where you sacrifice some rigidity. PETG is not tough, whereas PLA+ and ABS are. The original PLA formula from decades ago was not tough, but was very rigid. This is almost impossible to find now however, as pretty much everything on the market now that is being called PLA has the toughness of PLA+ and is some variation of that. I needed some of the original rigid/brittle PLA for a mechanical part that was subject to creep when using PLA+ and never was able to find it. So one has to wonder what Bambu’s PLA Tough is bringing to the table that wasn’t already there? Perhaps an increased degree of ductility? I actually have a spool of it but haven’t done any testing with parts made from it.

1 Like