Power consumption data

what are you using to get graphs/data ?

This is just a Shelly Plug (needed on my side in the first place to be able to easily turn on/off the printer) + Android app (screenshots are from the app).

So the app for the plug gives power usage ?
I have been looking for one like this & gone through a load of measurement plugs but all have been terrible.

looks like there are 2 sockets.

I have mainly these ones :
https://www.shelly.cloud/en/products/shop/shelly-plug-s

19€ (cheaper in packs) (also available on amazon)

Gives power consumption + Alexa capability (“Alexa, turn on Bambu Lab”)
There are mainly two models, the “small” and the “big” ones, the main difference is the max allowed power (2500W vs 3500W i believe, but please check the specs) + the size of the device.

2 Likes

I tried the shelly plug S and works but when turning the plug off the X1C will glow the leds of the extruder ever X minute. You seen this happen?

Not at all … when i turn off the plug, the Bambu Lab is not powered anymore so nothing can be on anymore in any way.
Either you have a wrong Plug configuration (a periodic timer powering on the device at regular frequency ?) - in which case you could / should reset the device (and maybe check the logs of the device in the Shelly Cloud APP (android, …) or through the web console at http://, in which you can activate a debug log)
Either maybe you have a faulty device, in which case you should probably contact the seller or the Shelly support.

I tried factory reset and settings are ok. Not seen anything out of the ordinary from the logs. But mailed them a moment ago with footage and log. So hope they can help out.

Guess this is an old thread but this is actually something I actively monitor since I run my printers nearly continuously…I’m very familiar with mains power measurement and I’ve also just been seeing about 250-300W peak with the bed heater on. I have a Kill-A-Watt and an sort of cheap Rosewill power monitoring device. Both do power factor correction properly. I’m seeing this on both my P1P and X1C. Maybe there were batch-to-batch differences

Incorrect… higher voltage = lower amps to achieve the same wattage. VxA=W

If heater is rated for 1000 watts it would draw 8.3 amps at 120v and 4.15 at 240v, etc…

What exactly is your point? The bed heater isn’t “rated” for a particular wattage. It will draw 4X the power (wattage) on 240V than on 120V because its resistance doesn’t change.

5 Likes

So whats the average power usage for a 5 hour print in the UK then?

After initial heating, figure 110-130W usage, so five hours would be about 0,6kWh. How much that costs depends on what you pay for power. For me, it would be about 80 US cents.

1 Like

Are you sure about your cost per KWh?? That sounds awfully high. My marginal cost is about 11 cents per KWh. Granted, I live in a state which is a huge power producer, but even so…

I rounded up. I just redid the calculation with a sharper pencil, and it looks as though I’m paying a marginal rate of about 10.4 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Not that ti really matters, but I had no idea others were paying so much.

According to energysage website, the national average is 19 cents per kilowatt-hour. California is 33 cents/kWh. Ouch.

My marginal cost is 0.23/kWh, but yes, I made a mistake. Call it 14 cents.

1 Like

Here in MA I pay 0.31/kWh. It’s a bit painful.

It would be interesting to see what is the difference in consumption when printing PLA with cool plate vs PEI plate.

Not really a scientific test, but the smart socket on my X1C shows these values during printing:

• Cool Plate (35°C), Hotend at 220°C: ~70W
  • Textured PEI Plate (55°C), Hotend at 220°C: ~120W

Europe, 230V Supply.

2 Likes

And we have a winner ! Someone who understands electrical theory and Watts law.Please let me rephrase your reply Mr. rbennett. A load that uses 1000 watts will draw twice the current at 120 volts than at 240 volts. watts law says that power = current times voltage. If you plug Mr. rbennets voltage,current and power values into the watts law formula you will see watts law proves him right.