Pressure Advance removed from filament setting?

I just installed 1.8.2.56 and was fiddling with the new custom filament settings when I realized that Pressure Advance isn’t in the filament settings anymore.

Am I missing something? It used to be there…

Pressure advance is in filament settings if you use OrcaSlicer, and is stored with the rest of the settings on your computer and the Bambu Cloud.

Bambu Studio did not offer any setting for PA until recently (v1.7?). Studio now stores the setting on the printer, where can be seen on the Device tab, and is lost if you restore factory settings on your printer.

Any User presets you might already have will not be available on the Device tab. Only the defaults and “Custom” filaments will be listed, and I do not see a way to just manually input a value, you’ll need to use the Studio calibration from Prepare or Preview tabs to populate the PA field.

I can create a Custom filament profile, then do Calibration, and save the value. But after that the AMS won’t hold the filament profile I select for more than 10 seconds. So I’m still not seeing how we can apply PA to anything.
If I use a textured plate which won’t do self-calibration I’d like to use a profile with a PA value that I’ve tested.

1 Like

That is why I use OrcaSlicer for actual prints.

I keep updating Bambu Studio in hopes it will become more useful, but that hope is fading as they add features to promote Makerworld.

Can you co-exist thou, like if I work through all my filaments and add manual K settings to manual filaments in Orca slicer, will that still “print” with those values? I cant create “True” custom filaments in Orca slicer either , just really “presets” based off “Generic xxyyzz” etc - has no custom filament section like in Bambu

If I setup my custom filaments in Bambu, I cant use Orca - and visa versa.

BS recently added the custom filaments option, which sounded like it would then let you use those on the Device tab as AMS filaments.

Then if we follow what was noted above, you can do a PA calibration in BS and it’ll store that PA value as part of the custom filament.

So I went through that process to make the custom filament and store the PA value, and it then shows up as a selection for the AMS. But when I select it the custom filament selection only populates the AMS slot for about 10 seconds, then it goes blank. It doesn’t say “Empty”, it’s just blank.

Is this a bug maybe?

Hi cm , it sure appears to be a bug, tried setting up a home brand PLA on the Custom filament and when loaded to the AMS it shows for a few seconds and disappears.

Yes people seem to have this bug, mine is not doing this thou…

User Presets are stored on your computer and in the Bambu cloud, so compatible settings are shared by BS and Orca. Until recently BS did not allow adjusting PA, and it does not use the PA value set in Orca, which is in the .json file used by BS, but it is ignored. Being stored on your computer, they can be preserved by normal backup procedures and can also be accessed from the cloud.

Custom Filaments are another type of filament preset that is new and unique to BS. I am uncertain where they are kept. I do not see them with the other configuration files on the computer. The PA value is not a part of the Custom preset - it is stored separately on the printer. Reports are that restoring factory settings on the printer will erase all the PA settings, so apparently PA values are not stored in the cloud.

I spend a substantial amount of time calibrating my filaments, so having backups is important to me. In BS, I have not been able to manually enter PA values on the Device tab without running new calibrations. Since I am unwilling to re-run new calibrations in the event of data loss, I do not use the Custom presets.

Using OrcaSlicer, the PA values set in the User Preset will override any that are set on the printer.

My view might be different if I had an AMS, but I do not find any value in the “Custom filament” approach. It does not keep all the settings together, and the assigned names are unnecessarily long and inflexible. I assume it is intended to support MakerWorld’s click-and- print concept, in which I have no interest. (I think that idea is doomed until the day there is a 3D equivalent of a PDF file, which would print identically on all machines.)

This is all subject to change. It’s clear that Bambu still has bugs to work out with the Custom presets and Orca has not yet issued a release based on a Studio version using Custom filaments (if it ever does). At moment, Studio offers me nothing useful that OrcaSlicer does not do as well or better.

I agree - it’s way too convoluted and the naming get really long.

It appears that I need to switch back to Orca if I want to have control of Pressure Advance. Yes we can ask the machine to do flow and PA calibration for us at the beginning of each print, but if we’ve tweaked both to perfection there’s no sense letting the machine make a new guess at it. And though they’ve improved the situation with textured plates, still I’d rather use values I know will work.

1 Like