PTFE Tubing Quality

What I start seeing is failure to load at the extruder. I can get past the error on a retry by pressing and holding the PTFE tube into the connector during the feed. The tube seems to develop some play there from wear or damage. The constant pushing and pulling at the connector chews up the tube. The last time it started happening more often, I cut about 3/16" off the end of the tube and reinserted. Works fine until the next time. Eventually, I’ll have to replace the tube when it gets too short.

I use one of the original prints that keep a better arch into the toolhead, also seems tight enough to never pull the PTFE, Similar to this one.

This is the first I found, but it’s ripped off. Original I found on Printables (was no Makersworld). Bambu had one available in their Wiki at one time.

1 Like

I have a PTFE Guide but that’s not where the problem occurs. The problem is the Bordon Tube Connector at the head. It chews up the tubing then allows the tube to move back and forth. This opens a gap at the head connector and the filament fails to feed at that point. I’ve watched it happen.

It happened again last night. I’ll try to get a picture of the tube before I clip the end off.

Just be warned that often PTFE guide add ons can cause other problems.

4 Likes

My problem was occurring before I even added the guide. I tried several of the guides too. Most were too tall and dragged on the top glass. One wouldn’t allow the feed tube to rotate. I found a short one but that doesn’t solve the PTFE tube chewing problem.

I was more posting for other (new) people reading this post.

3 Likes

trying to understand what the problem is. I don’t doubt it is a problem but I can’t wrap my head around it. When you can, would you post a pic of the end of the tube?

As for the PTFE guide, used one since buying the printer last year, never a problem.

Well, I just replaced the tube. I took a photo of the area, but it doesn’t show up very well. The photo below is the best one out of five. It looks to me like the tube clamping system allows the tube to move in and out. The arrows point to a region of about 1.5 - 2.0mm that shows the tube can move back and forth.

1 Like