Put "Footers" on models [Feature Request]

Hello! I’m a MW designer, and am so far loving the platform. After this recent update with Boosts, I want to make a change to my models descriptions mentioning something about these boosts. (e.g. "Thank you so much to anyone who leaves a boost! To learn more about boosts, please check out _____). Still looking for a link or something to put there, but that’s the gist. I would also like to put my license explanation/etc there. Currently, I have something simple like this for a model description:

Model specific bit here! And then the more generic bit:

I love seeing your prints! Please leave a comment or a make :slight_smile:

This model was designed by Zammer 3D and posted here on MakerWorld.com under the “Creative Commons - Attribution—Noncommercial—Share Alike” license. Feel free to print for yourself, but do not sell this model. Remixes are allowed if substantial changes are made and credit is given to Zammer 3D via the built in platform-appropriate methods. Thank you for respecting the license and supporting me!

Happy printing!
-Z

(and I just added that bit with the “built in platform-appropriate methods”, didn’t have that before.)

So basically I have this on all of my models, and want to update it. Rather than updating it on my 19 models (and some designers have way more!), I would like to request a “footer” that could be added to all models, or disabled on some. It would basically have whatever info the designer wanted. There might even be multiple footers, and the designer could choose which one they wanted. (E.g. one for “Public Domain” models and one for “CC-BY-NC-SA” ones. Then they could easily merge the footers, edit them, etc. Also they could be added by selecting models or selecting all models and adding them, so it’s easier to set up the first time :slight_smile:. This would make it a lot easier for me to create good model descriptions that are up to date. For example, if I want to change my mini “license overview” for clarity, or add something about boosts and other new MW features, I could just update it once and it would populate on all of the models with it turned on.

Thanks and I appreciate that MW isn’t just staying static, but experimenting and improving!
-Z

Edit: Also having multiple per model and letting us place them wherever, for example I have a model with lots of stuff in the description, so I’d want some of it up top and some of it at the bottom. If I could use a shortcode of sorts (e.g. [top-main] and [bottom-main] to place them (or just insert via the writing menu), that’d be awesome!

5 Likes

I would really like this feature too. There’s a standard assortment of things I’d like to say at the end of every description, like this, and it would be nice to update it all in one go, instead of having to go through each model individually.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Totally! I keep procrastinating updating mine, and you’ve got 30 models!

Well went though again to add the new boost block and my Buymeacoffee. @Tanklet I’d appreciate a footer feature!

At this point, even having a global header wouldn’t be bad, or even global text blocks that you can insert into the model description (as you said).

Dynamic text blocks would be a significant time saver. Similar to footers, but more flexible, these blocks could be centrally managed and inserted via short codes. This allows for an infinite number of reusable text elements that can be used anywhere in the description like so:
text text text
{{preset1}}
text text text

This approach would be particularly useful for a series of models. You could easily promote the most recent addition to the series, update lists of links to related models etc. by updating a single text block.

1 Like

Yes, this is basically what I want. I can just do something like:

Summary of model
{Beg for boosts}
{Hey go buy me a coffee}

More Detail about the design and like
assembly instructions and printing
info and other useful and relevant
details.

{Promote similar design}
{Model theives are jerks}
{Signoff}

Agree, It would be especially useful for designers who have many models, as it is currently difficult to standardize and maintain consistent descriptions between them.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea.

Including the ability to include multiple boilerplates would greatly improve the editing situation and make it less unnecessarily time-consuming.

I do mean multiple.

When I designed software solutions, adding the ability to include content blocks into information meant huge increases in productivity and significant reductions in errors.

I also included scheduled content and rules-based content inclusion. I doubt they would go this far.

I would also like a header and footer for each Collection. Plus, the ability to re-order the models within collections.

1 Like

@MakerWorld @Tanklet - Any thoughts on this?