Resonance Testing Print

My view is that for best results, you want the printer “coupled” to a heavy mass, which is why many of us put a concrete paver under the printer. Flexible feet may dampen vibration transmission to the surface, but they will allow the printer itself to move more, which you don’t want.

2 Likes

@holmes4 I understand what you’re saying, but don’t I need to come up with a “happy medium”, so the printer doesn’t shake too much AND doesn’t send too much vibration to the other printer on the same table. The pavers each printer is sitting on are 1 inch thick and weigh 36 pounds (16.33 Kgs).

I am running @3DTech test recommendation at the moment on each printer one at a time. I think the real test will be when I run them at the same time. Do you agree or is that not a good test?

The suggested test is OK by me. You could also experiment with sorbothane discs under the paver - I plan on doing that, though I don’t generally run more than one printer at a time.

2 Likes

@holmes4 Thanks for that suggestion. I am also going to be testing the printers out using @PrinterMcgee “Super Feet” (Anti Vibration Feet Issues - P1P - Bambu Lab P1P / Troubleshooting - Bambu Lab Community Forum) this Monday.

1 Like

@PrinterMcgee I’m in the same boat as you, in an apartment on the top floor with neighbors below. I’ve already asked them to let me know if they feel or hear any weird noises above their 2nd bedroom (which is what I use for my office in my apartment.)

By the way, that Vibrometer app I am using is super sensitive on my Android phone. I had one of my cockatiels walk around on the pad on the table and it even detected that. Each one weighs around 85 grams.

1 Like

@3DTech @PrinterMcgee

3DTech’s test produced similar results as my 1st test…

The Anti-Vibration Feet seem to dissipate the vibration of the printer from the table quite a bit. Once again, both prints turned out identical. (Escuse my horrible picture taking ability. A1 is slightly blurry.

Now it’s time to run them on both printers at the same time.

1 Like

Final test for the night. Running 3DTech’s test on both printers at the same time…

Almost identical results from the test running L1 by itself. So far it is looking like 1 inch pavers with 1 inch polyurethane foam and the Bambu Anit-Vibration Feet are doing a great job. The prints are identical again and no different from the previously posted pictures.

1 Like

That good news and the first ring tests looked good also :grinning:

1 Like

FINAL FINAL TEST

NOTE: I am actually using 2-inch thick (5.08cm) pavers, not 1 inch like I kept saying previously. Sorry about that.

I ran several tests today on all kinds of prints, including @Jrock recommendation. No issues in any of them. All with the specs shown below, except I used PolyLite PLA Silk for part of Jrock’s test.

This final test I printed the “temporary_spool_outside” (Reusable Filament Spool - eSun and Inland compatible by Beaver | Printables.com) print because it really moves the print head around quickly and erratically.

Both prints turned out identical with no defects of any kind. I bumped up both printers to “Sports” mode as shown below. I didn’t have the courage to go to “Ludicrous” mode. :fearful:

I feel quite confident that this setup works very well in preventing excessive movement to each printer and to the table and ground. I will ask my downstairs neighbor tomorrow if he heard or felt anything but I am pretty sure the answer will be “No”.

By the way, for about 20 minutes of one test, I put my phone on the leg of the foot of the table right above the ground and the meter never went above 1.6. @PrinterMcgee I would say this is a winning combo to prevent your neighbors from murdering you. (Well, at least for this issue. :astonished: :wink:)

4 Likes

Excellent work !

Thank you for the data and items used

This seems like a good idea for all of my printers :thinking:

2 Likes

@PrinterMcgee I was thinking about that and one thing I didn’t mention is the Anti-Vibration Feet from Bambu Lab are a pain in the butt to attach to the printers. As soon as you get 1 or 2 set correctly, they get all screwed up when you try to attach the other ones. I purposely didn’t use any adhesive with them because I plan on using your Super Feet tomorrow when those pads arrive from Amazon. I think your setup will be much easier to deal with than just the Bambu feet.

Will it lower the vibration even more? Who knows. But I will give it a go and let you know.

The pavers were $4.18 each.

I am about to print out your Super Feet and Bambu is not recommending any supports. Do you agree?

1 Like

I tried printing them without supports like Bambu Studio recommended. They came out okay except for the fact that the bottom is somewhat bowed. When I got the pads from Amazon this morning I attached them to your feet and realized they won’t work because of the bowing. So I am printing them again with full supports.

By the way, except for the bowing issue, the pads fit perfectly into your feet. :+1:

1 Like

By the way, if you pick up those same pavers, make sure to put the chamfer/bevel side down, otherwise your feet and the pads will not sit flush on the concrete.

1 Like

Motivate, man! Motivate! :wink:

I installed your Super Feet, the Anti-Vibration Feet from Bambu and the “Anti-Vibration Isolation Pads” from Amazon this afternoon. That was no simple task, by the way. Since we can’t upload pictures at the moment, here is a link to a couple of them and a couple really poorly done videos.

EDIT: The actual shaking in the longest video is me trying to keep the phone steady will I pan back and forth. It is not the printers shaking.

1 Like

Running that test now on both printers simultaneously as I did with the “temporary_spool_outside”. I’ll share my results shortly.

1 Like

The final results are below. Using the combination of Bambu Lab’s Anti-Vibration Feet along with PrinterMcGee’s Super Feet and BJADE’S Anti-Vibration Isolation Rubber Pads did not decrease the average vibration of the table the printers sat on. However, it did dampen any vibration spikes considerably from a rating of 6.5 to 5.7. It also greatly reduced the noise level to the point if I was more than 20 feet away from the printers, I could hardly hear them. Also, the quality of the spools printed are identical to the previous tests.

In conclusion, this is a good combination to reduce vibration on multiple printers on the same table while also reducing the noise level. I checked with my downstairs neighbors, and they didn’t hear or feel anything.

1 Like

I’m curious, with all your testing with and without the anti-vibration feet did you have an AMS sitting on top of your printer? When I puy my AMS on top it really squishes down the anti-vibration feet to the point where I am concerned whether it is still providing benefit.

Yes, I had an AMS sitting on both printers I tested. So far, I have never had an issue with one printer messing up the other printer when both were in use.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that.

1 Like