Ringing and decline in surface quality

Sorry, but my first post had to be related to an issue that is getting increasingly frustrating and I can’t find any discussion from BL about an identified problem.

Since installing recent updates I am getting ringing on all of my prints. I have cleaned the rods, adjusted the belt tension, placed the machine on a solid floor and done several calibration tests, still the same.

This is a new problem, when I first started printing this issue wasn’t present. I think I’ve read somewhere about vibration compensation not working, but I’d like to see an official post from BL if this is the case.

I have posted this in discord and it seems I’m not alone, with reports of a decline in quality and ringing.

Can anyone assist?

Any suggestions?

6 Likes

Hello,

The latest firmware update patches an issue with the acceleration value which remained set to 5K when the First Layer Inspection was performed.
The new firmware brings back the 10K acceleration value.

The recommended operation for this is as follows:

1. Turn off the printer
  2. Loosen the belt tensioners in the back.
  3. Spray IPA on the carbon rods, then move the print head manually from left to right, so IPA can get inside the bearings during the movement. (Wiki article covering this)
  4. Wipe the carbon rods with a clean cloth to wipe any dust and grime from the rods.
  5. Repeat the cleaning process again.
  6. Re-tighten the belt tensioners and performed a new calibration.

I also recommend checking the hotend screws for them to be tight, to avoid any movement that might generate vibrations and ringing.

If this procedure doesn’t give the expected results, the remaining solution is to lower the acceleration value and do another test print, to see if it helps.

We are also working on improving the vibration compensation solution to be more efficient, but it will take a bit more time until we have it implemented in a new firmware update.

Thanks
Ciprian

10 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply.

1 Like

Thank you. I have have cleaned the rods, but not as described. I will try this and I’ll check the hot end. I’ll then do some testing at 10k and 5k and I’ll post my results.

5 Likes

@Ciprian Ok, so here are my results. Standard settings picture 1. Rods cleaned picture 2. Acceleration reduced to 5000 picture 3.

Cubes 1 and 2 are no different. Cube 3 is obviously a big improvement.

This is a square BTW, the corners are very round on all cubes.

3 Likes

@Ciprian Good day - how’s it going with an update on the firmware regarding “We are also working on improving the vibration compensation solution to be more efficient, but it will take a bit more time until we have it implemented in a new firmware update.” please.

thanks/regards Manfred

1 Like

I have the same issue on the P1P that I just received. Oval and round objects are terrible. I did the belt and clean tuning as suggested but that does not improve things.
I’m using the default PETG profile.

What I noticed is that increasing the max volumetric speed makes this way more noticeable. I’m using the default, but its still bad.

Just a quick update on this issue.
Since following all the suggestions re +/- speeds & walls, Belt Tensioners & Re-Calibrations and multiple rod cleanings etc etc I have also tried several different filaments and suppliers in PLA & PETG and I can confirm that the artefact still remains clearly visible and feelable on the X Axis only.
I have sent in many photos, models ( stl & Step) and several system logs now to Support but it has been over a week since last one went in and not a peep from them.!!!

4 Likes

i am having the same issue too. can you please update us when you get a resolution.

thank you.

1 Like

Not 100% convinced I have resolved the issue but definitely reduced the impact by literally drenching the rods with IPA whist moving them left and right, cleaning and repeating several times. The artefact has certainly reduced in intensity on flat walls to almost none but is still present on circular prints!!!
I really hope that BL get into this and sort it 100%.

3 Likes

@Ciprian, any updates for us? I’ve cleaned the rods, greased the lead screws, used Orcaslicer for VFA and this is still an issue. Any form of an update would be lovely, like “still working on it”.

Hi,

If you have a particular issue, please open a ticket and our Customer Support team will check in more detail.
Please provide as much information as possible, the log file, .3mf files used and pictures with the results you get.

Thanks
Ciprian

3 Likes

Lol what a joke. You replied in this thread and someone is just asking for a simple update. Or did you not remember your initial reply?

1 Like

Every situation is different, and the reason why I ask for a ticket to be opened is to ensure we provide an accurate reply and solution based on the log files and what we find troublesome with that particular machine.

3 Likes