Rough first layer

What plate is that? It looks fibrous??

1 Like

I think it’s just copious amounts of glue.

To the OP, clean your plate. The extra glue is going to cause first layer surface issues as the filament has nowhere to go but up in the thick spots of glue.

Calibrate your filament.

1 Like

I thought that was a workshop surface the OP had placed the printed item on.

You think this is the actual plate?

I’m glad I’ve never used glue, that is in need of a thorough clean.

1 Like

I do think thats the plate. I think it would be tough to peel a single layer print off a build plate and have it still be perfectly flat.

1 Like

My only working eye operates at around 80% on a good day.

I should have zoomed in to the photo. I didn’t until I saw your comment and the one from @CanDo that I rechecked.

1 Like

A bit OT… Do you never use glue? I find this astonishing because without glue, large parts frequently curl up at the ends, small parts don’t stick well to the plate without a brim or raft (which compromise the base layer quality), and some materials are particularly troublesome. If this is true, please share what plate and tricks you use!

Personally, I dislike glue sticks as they don’t apply a thin, uniform layer well, but glue sticks are recommended for some materials (PC, PA, PA-CF, PA-GF, PAHT-CF, PAHT-GF)

This stuff (and similar) spreads on easily and uniformly, and prevents parts detaching during printing, and also acts as a release agent to make it easier to remove the print when it has cooled after printing:

More info here if it’s of interest.

1 Like

I also never use glue. Or rather I used it once, and was super unimpressed by the mess. My current go to is PLA on smooth high temp plate. Keep it clean with IPA and wash it with soap and water once every few weeks.

3 Likes

I never use glue. I also mostly print ABS with the occasional PLA part on the textured and high temp PEI beds. Some other filaments need glue more as a release layer, not for adhesion.

2 Likes

@JonRaymond I recently printed a PLA part with a 20 mm brim with 0 gap and it still warped, so I used hairspray to prevent it from warping.

In these cases, what do you do instead of glue? Increase bed temperature or change other setting?

1 Like

The part was pulling up from the bed with that wide of brim? How many wall count were you using?

If hairspray worked for you, then that’s the solution that you should use.

2 Likes

I had a wall loop of 5 and the brim was actually 25mm. This was the part, it warped on the part at the front of the picture where I split in Bambu Studio. If I can figure out how to keep it flat without glue, I would prefer that.

Also, in the displayed picture, I re-oriented it so that cut side was away from the fan. Originally when I printed and it warped the cut side was on the fan side.

1 Like

Is your aux fan coming on at all during the print? I think I would make sure that doesn’t ever turn on. Does it still warp if you only print one of the boxes instead of two?

2 Likes

The aux fan was using the default settings, I didn’t pay attention to how much of the time it was on.

When I reprinted it. I used hairspray and printed only one box at a time because I didn’t want to take any chances.

I will try without the aux fan the next time I print something like this. Should the fan be turned on at some point like near the end of the print, or just never turn it on?

1 Like

I wouldn’t use the aux fan at all if there is the potential for warping. You want the part to remain as consistent temperature as possible. The aux fan will cool the part unevenly which can cause warping.

I would use the aux fan more to resolve issues with prints not cooling fast enough or heat creep.

Personally, I only use it to help heat the camber up faster.

2 Likes

Thanks. Have you ever had any heat creep issues due to turning off the fan?

1 Like

I haven’t but I often will crack the door open when printing long pla prints.

1 Like

I always have the door open a few inches and the top raised up when I print PLA, so I guess I shouldn’t have any issues.

1 Like

Apologies, I’ve no idea what the OT abbreviation means.

I can confirm, I have never used glue of any fashion ever on the Bambu Lab printers I own nor the Creality ones before nor a couple of others I home tested for a month each.

I don’t do anything special, default settings almost always work.

Tiny things occasionally require a brim, but it has to be an extremely small amount of surface area for me to add one, something less than 5mm.

Bigger things can depend on placement on the bed fixed most problems.

I print PLA hand variants), PETG & TPU, each one grips harder than the next, TOU is bar far the hardest to remove.

1 Like

I have recently started turning off the fan for parts that have low surface contact and multiple colours on every layer.

Before that, sticking was an issue, afterwards, zero problems.

Just off for the first 5 layers though.

This was using PLA.

The USA member of my Willies collection had this issue and was quickly resolved with the 5 layer thing. It’s in the profile. Zero problems having a perfect first or subsequent layers and no other issues someone CanDo mentioned about smaller prints (the actual surface that touches the plate is tiny).

2 Likes

Off topic.

1 Like