Slice Engineering releases their "hotend" Mako for Bambu Lab

I have some. It made ZERO difference. Don’t waste your money imo

2 Likes

That’s good to hear, reallly. I agree it’s better than stock but I didn’t use it as much as I thought. I have the Revo with obxidian HF and Brass HF that I like better. Since then my E3D has just sat with the other BBL nozzles.

I wonder… For MIG welding there are anti-spatter sprays to keep molten metal spatter from sticking to the MIG nozzle. Could the spray be similar to their repellent paint, or perhaps even the same thing repackaged?

I see an “up to 60% higher flow rate” claim. Nothing about under what test conditions (1.2mm nozzle in straight lines?)
They seem to be claiming credit for “free and open source” designs. Like they originated them…
Looks like a nozzle change requires pulling the boot off, unscrewing the nozzle, and the reverse with the new nozzle. Which, as others have mentioned, is the same way everyone else does it.

Honestly, you already know more than I do. My first association with “anti-stick” is probably the same as everyone else’s: teflon. Clearly, in its basic form that would be a poor choice because above a certain temperature it gives off toxic fumes. So, for mig welding, it couldn’t be that, as plainly the temperatures there are even higher. Perhaps its like solder mask. That’s kinda “painted” on a PCB (well, silk screened or rolled on generally, but whatever) certainly does a good job of repelling solder. Perhaps the mig welding splatter stuff is like that. I’m totally spitballing at this point.

If I were further grasping at straws, I imagine some kind of high temperature grease would resist adhesion from a plastic filament. After all, lipids are naturally slippery. Further, it’s common practice to degrease a substrate before painting it if you want a good bond, pretty much regardless of paint. That said, if there’s a good match for this application, I’d guessing someone has already bottled it and is selling it for that purpose. For that reason, I think a survey of what’s already on the market to serve this purpose for 3D printers is probably a pretty complete catalog. The problem is well identified, plenty of time has passed since it would have first been encountered (3D printing started in the 1980’s), and I surely have no novel insights into it.

IIRC, nozzles are often plated with nickel to make them less sticky to plastics. And there are, IIRC, alleged to be others that do an even better job. Diamond? Ruby? Titanium. I have no idea.

Looking again more closely at the Slice Engineering nozzle:

it looks as though the silicon cover cozies right up to the very tip of the nozzle opening. Is it that, or is the nozzle colored to match the same color as the silicon, so they only appear to blend together? It an ambiguous photo. It almost looks as though the silicon might even cover the nozzle, but that wouldn’t make any sense would it? I’m now regretting my earlier smart-Alec comment, which probably didn’t do it justice. That said, as everyone commented at the time, their video did a really poor job of explaining it. Perhaps they’ve amended it or put out something better by now. If it’s any good at all, it deserves a better reveal than what that first video gave it.

And if it’s not any good at all…