Support filament included in box, what is it?

Hey so one of the free filament spools I got with my X1C was some white stuff just labeled Support W. What’s special about this? is it dissolvable? or is it just regular white PLA? I try not to use separate material for supports if I can help it as it causes massive wastage and wear and tear on the machine and AMS. Just wondering if I can use this as regular white PLA?

1 Like

It is a special filament that is much more easy to break and remove then normal PLA. It is only for supports and like most support filaments should only be used for the interface layers, not the entire support. It is not water dissolvable though, just easy breakaway.

The general consensus is that it is PETG or a PETG variant. You can use PETG as support for PLA and vice versa.
Only use the Support W as the interface layer between the support structure and the part. That way, the majority of the print is what ever color the part is and only a layer or 2 is the Support W. Saves on color changes and wasting the Support W which runs out in the store very often.

I doubt it is just PETG. If you ever tried to print with the material, you will know why :slight_smile:

ah this actually makes a lot of sense, I might be tempted to try that as it would only add 2 spools changes

will it not leave white residue on the bottom of the supported area?

PLA only bonds to Support W just enough to make it through the print then peels away fairly well leaving you with a much better finish than if you had used just PLA for the whole print. It’s not the same finish as the build plate since Support W isn’t a solid metal plate but it’s not bad at all. On one thing I printed, I was able to pull it off the bed, leaving the support structure behind but most of the time I do have to actively, get a hold of the Support W to pull it off.

As for what it is, I’m just parroting what the hive mind says, I’m not a filamentologist nor have I slept in a Holiday Inn Express recently.

1 Like