Third party filament library needed

3D printer novice view as I guess Bambu heavily aim on novices:

I am just choosing my first ever printer. I get known about P1P and Bambu Lab during my research and love that printer from technical point of view, I would definitely buy that one, but I have the issue with Bambu slicer itself. As part of my pre-buy analysis I played with Bambu Studio and of course with Prusaslicer and I love Prusaslicer. For me as new in 3D printing world is not enough to have good printer only, but have also great service and support, probably this is even more important than printer itself. I love how Prusa is communicate with their customers, what features Prusaslicer has, that they provide all those kind of profiles for tons of filaments which they tested themselves and many other extras which they do not need to do, but they do. Why here is no answer from Bambu itself on this topic? Why I cannot find anywhere when they add new features like automatic connectors and organic support into the software?

Prusa is as I found out really overpriced and probably technically old, but they are made in Europe, which I like and as said, the support and how the company care about their customer is huge for me.

But in overall, P1P is no buy for me right now because of their slicer and customer approach a no buy Prusa as this is not good time to buy their printers, maybe wait for next model.

2 Likes

I owned a Prusa MK3S with the MMU2S for about 1.5 years before upgrading to the Bambu X1CC. What I can say about the slicers is they are both very functional (and Bambu’s is built on the open-source PrusaSlicer), but by now, I very strongly prefer Bambu’s. I think the handling of multiple plates, the UI for all the controls, etc. are all better thought out. Obviously you may prefer different things, but I’d have a hard time going back to PrusaSlicer at this point (and I’d have an even harder time going back to the Prusa printer. It was phenomenal except the MMU2S was clearly lacking the robustness that we all appreciate about the printer. But Bambu is much better in every way, and the multimaterial is incredible. I’m 3 days in on a 4.8 day multicolor print. Zero problems.

Good luck!

If you make it easy for folks to consume a product, more consumption will occur. Your logic doesn’t make any sense, but thanks for playing the grouch. They don’t have to do much beyond enabling the facility that already exists for community to build on. Nobody is suggestion Bambu solve world hunger one filament at a time.

Given the neat json library in bambu slicer, surely filament manufacturers also have an incentive to make their stuff easily consumable on bambu printers and provide information/profiles for their gear. This is a two way street.

Not sure what your problem is, I am able to handle my filaments quite easily. BL should first and foremost make sure that their support is working well and secondly, their store is filled up quickly and regularly with filament. Then no DB required at all, if at all (but it isn’t anyway)

Bambu can do the major brands easily and they should.
All high end companies offer 3rd party filament profiles.

We purchased a F410 from Fusion3 and they had 100’s of profiles available.
They tested and perfected the settings in house and send them all out with their printers.

In my opinion, Bambu should do the same.

2 Likes

The answer is both. There’s no need in creating barriers of entries for folks interested in the tech.

1 Like

@sfazzina @ckuhtz If at all, this could be a community effort, based on the list of brands/filament suitable for AMS. Someone interested in 3D stuff should read FAQS, watch videos and TUTs, there are literally hundreds available, to explain and teach the use of printers and filaments. If you look at the questions some people are asking, nobody is doing that nowadays, they all rely on getting the info from someone else. Not wanting to invest a minute in trying to find out by him/herself. For me the most important thing is that they (BL) optimise their support activities before anything else. This seems to be difficult enough. And for “no need in creating barriers of entries for folks interested in the tech” there is no barrier. There are basic profiles available, which can be used and a manufacturer of filament, wanting sell his stuff, can easily provided profiles for this filament.

3 Likes

Hi @KikiLobo.
Bambu has published some third party print profiles, like eSUN, Polymaker and Overture - directly in their Bambu Studio. You can select them in the filament selection menu.
Some other filament producers I buy from have published print profiles for Bambu Studio as well, like eSun itself, DasFilament and so on.
And: It really isn’t hard to create some profiles for third party filaments. All you need is a bit of technical understanding, how 3D-printing works and the technical data sheet and at last some test printing.
Or, actively write to the manufacturer and ask about profiles for bambu lab. Sometimes you even get an answer :wink:
But please note: There are really too many manufacturers to consider them all. In addition, the quality is only really good from a few manufacturers - compared to the huge range on offer. After all, you don’t want to destroy your printer or invest a lot of work in cleaning and repairing it.
Kind Regards :slight_smile: