Type of filament used for inside of x1c

An informative Supplement to POM, Further down the page there are also references to manufacturers. I quote from it, later it may no longer be available:

The number of manufacturers that offer POM as a filament is less than for other filaments such as ABS or PLA for example. One of the manufacturers of POM is Capifil. This one offers POM spools in white, natural and black. All three colors can be purchased in either the 1.75 or 2.85 mm filament size for a price of €39.99 per 1 kg spool. Polish chemical group Grupa Azoty S.A. also offers natural colored POM filaments. The price for a 500 g spool in size 1.75 mm is €44.90. Another manufacturer is Ensinger, which offers TECAFIL POM-C in 1.75 size in the natural POM color. However, at €140 per 500g coil, the product is in a much higher price segment.

1 Like

I have the same experience despite having activated carbon in the printer. You would probably have to fit every opening on the printer with an activated carbon filter to the outside, or seal any gaps on the door. And although I also have an external air filter device next to the printer, this is not enough for some filaments (even when the device is running at a high level), so I often prefer to ventilate through the windows or mainly print when I’m not in the room.

1 Like

FWIW, the Elegoo air purifiers have gotten really good reviews. Originally they were for getting rid of resin printer smells, so they had to be pretty good in order to do that. Battery powered, so no electrical work required.

Thank you and the FYI on the air filters. Looking at the other mods to put activated carbon cartridges on the back of the printer and like you said having to seal everything would mess with the static pressure of the printer box, surely there would be an overheat issue unless I upgraded the fan. Venting outside sounds easier and more responsible than exposing everyone to a bunch of toxic fumes, lol.

Thank you again everyone for the info. I’m sure I’ll be back asking more questions. Just had my ASA arrive today. So maybe I’ll be able to print something later on today to see how it goes.

As an aside, I recently did a print in ASA using the print head I use for PLA. I had fine ASA stringing out of the print head for a while. The temperature difference is why I think. When the printer was purging PLA, I think the ASA stayed solid with just a however big channel through it. With use the ASA gradually was purged out but I’ll be using a separate extruder for high temp plastics from now on. Obviously YMMV but I definitely had some extra nuisance stringing after printing ASA.

Also be warned - thick walls like to cause curling. Luckily a completely flat bottom wasn’t necessary for the part I was making, but just FYI. Only the one print so far but definitely was a different style of printing. And it stank. I stayed out of the print room during and for a while after.

Thanks for the heads up! I had to mow the grass so haven’t gotten around to it yet. Arthritis is a bitch! Did you have yours vented out the window or bento box? I’m just wondering if even venting out the window is going to keep the stink out of the house.

It was cold when I did it so window closed and just vented into the room. The room had that acrid smell at some level for days too. I’ll vent next time though.

Some of the “enhanced” filament formulations print at a lower temperature, and this seems to result in fewer emissions–and less smell–as a result. e.g. Sunlu’s “Easy ABS”. Creality also has one which they claim is “odor free”. I haven’t tried it yet, but I did purchase both filaments and look forward to trying them out.

1 Like