Use 2 different Nozzles on one print?

i did merge the two together and then ran it in the PrusaSlicer. It looks good except the line is narrow but spaced exactly right on the .6 part of it, so I need to figure out how to tell it, that it needs to extrude a wider line. Somehow I need to be able to tell it that it’s a .6 nozzle and I just don’t know enough about gcode to figure it out.

Interesting - I don’t know how Prusaslicer would know that you have changed nozzle sizes in the spliced file - unless the nozzle size is specified on every layer.

I think the print will probably still work though.

I’ve been working on GCODE visualisations in Blender - my script at present only supports one nozzle size - but it would be fairly easy to add in nozzle size changes. If the nozzle size isn’t clearly in the GCODE then I guess It should be possible to detect the nozzle size change by looking at the extrusion distance compared to the movement distance - as for a 0.6 nozzle I guess (based on pi R squared) it will be 0.3 x 0.3 x pi extrusion per mm movement - vs 0.1 x 0.1 x pi per mm for the 0.2
Update… Need to take into account 1.75mm input Filament area too in above calculations - so probably not quite as simple. - but probably the ratio of 0.3x0.3 vs 0.1x0.1 is probably still relevant.

Might try doing some splicing myself - as will be interesting what the different lines sizes look like in Blender.

1 Like

I can offer my solution that only works if the text/logo is on the first layer(s) only. I do not own an AMS so I use this solution to embed test or logo in contrasting color. My solution is to change color but can be used to change nozzle instead. The idea is not to make a change within one single print but to perform 2 prints instead.

What I do is:

1. Load my text or logo in Bambu studio. I use solidworks to create it but for text you can certainly create a cube, size it to the right size, insert text and the cut the part keeping the text only.
  2. I rotate the text or/and logo 180° so that after printing it is in the right direction
  3. I right click text or logo, select add part and insert my model
  4. I select objects rather than global in left pane and select my model that I move around until I’m satisfied of its location compared to my text/logo.
  5. I save my project at that time.

Now, to the actual print:

1. To print in 2 colors, in objects, I delete (yes) my part keeping only the logo.
  2. I slice and print
  3. In bambu studio, I go back and undelete my part
  4. In objects, I change my text to be negative
  5. I replace my filament (unload previous, load new). In your case change nozzle
  6. I slice and print (the model will print around and on top of my text leaving it untouched because it’s a negative part of the actual model).

The new print will home itself so no issue with the z height and you can move the head while changing nozzle or filament it does not matter, switching the printer off also does not matter.
As I never touch the build plate, the position of the text and part will always be exactly right

Only 2 drawbacks: the text/logo shall be no more than 2 (may be 3) layers high because the travel of the new print may/will go over the text/logo printed previously, the z-hop of travels will avoid the text/logo unless it’s too high. The text logo shall not be printed with no empty space on the very center of the plate because this is where the second print will home so at the beginning when you’re satisfied with the location of the logo, select global and move the complete assembly so that the text/logo does not fall on the center of the plate. Also do not perform a bed levelling as it’s not required but more importantly, if you do, one or several of the touching will be on the text/logo

In my example below, I made sure that the vertical line of the bambu logo was exactly centered so that the nozzle won’t hit the logo while homing for printing the model that will go over it. What I do for peace of mind is to do a home after printing the logo. If home is actually over the logo, I go back in bambu studio and move the assembly a bit. I then remove the logo from my plate and restart from step 1.

Bambu box

1 Like