Vibration issues on the x axis

About 2 weeks ago i received my bambulab 3d printer and i have been loving the speed and accuracy this printer has, however i can’t help but notice a serious issue which has not only affected the surface look of 3d prints but also their quality.

Large vertical lines have been prevalent on the x-axis only of the front side of prints and has caused so many issues to the point where you can run your finger along the surface of 3d prints and feel the ridges. See below photo. I have contacted Bambulab support about this issue but none of their ideas have resolved the X1’s problem; i have cleaned the carbon rods, i have adjusted belt tension, i have planted the 3d printer on the floor, replaced the nozzle, calibration, everything, nothing has helped.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, and have fixed the issue, please help. Also if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

I started hitting this on a 2-3 month old X1C. I can’t quite figure it out, just started happening one day, and it sometimes doesn’t happen on some lines/layers. But you can definitely hear it, as it does an X motion from left to right: brrrrr-wommmmmm.

I’ve got about 400 hours of printing on it never did this until up until a week or so ago. Have since done all of the standard stuff- multiple cleanings of the x carriage, belt tension re-do sequence, cleaned everything and re-lubed everything that is supposed to be lubed. Still happens.

About to contact support now, but my last issue (temperature related) took about two months to kind-of-sort-of resolve, so I’m not looking forward to this….

Go through the maintenance list. Belt tensioning, cleaning, and so on. Make sure the X and Y are square when you do the belt process before you tighten them, and tighten them a little bit at a time alternating between the two and the same tension.

Hi ericus,

I don’t know if this is effecting your X1 but you can check it out.

Extruder has play

Exact same issue here. I contacted support but they replied in a way that cold only mean they didn’t read my detailed report. So no help there.

Has anyone else found this? Mine will do this on every layer of (especially) round parts, using any filament or setting imaginable. I have gone through every calibration and maintenance task imaginable and still no fix. It’s slowly getting worse with each print.

I’m about to just buy and install a whole carbon rod assembly and just ‘hope’ it works with this relatively new printer.

How to fix

Hi everyone, a few months ago I had the same problem you are all having, with the mostly x axis vibrations and some on the y. Calibration, cleaning, and many other so called fixes did not work for me either, and I found only one root cause as well as a permenant fix.

Now these fixes are not for the light hearted, however this was the way I was encouraged by a Bambu lab support representative.

The Fix

In short, I needed to fully disassemble the tool head, in order to get a good view of the bushings. On my model, the x axis carbon brushings were brass with the carbon brushes exposed, these are not directly connected to the tool head but held in place with 4 springs. It is possible and it was the case with me that these springs were pushing in the brushings, causing extra friction on the x axis, leading the vibrations, which eventually ended up scratching the rods, it just happened over time that I didn’t realise these scratches.

So I showed Bambu support all of this evidence, and because I was in warranty they sent a replacement x axis gantry. This was hard to replace and involves lots of work with belts and taking off all panels etc…
I decided to have a look at the brushings on the new unit and it turns out that they were protected with a stainless steel sleeve, so thus meant the brushings were no longer exposed and could not be damaged by springs pushing in over time. I have had this replacement x axis for about 6 months now and have had no problems.

I will only recommend disassembling the tool head if you are confident as well as using the guide online.

Hope this works for you guys and has helped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.