We need the ability to dispute copyright violation claims

Stupid question, but are your other accounts named the same as you are on Makerworld?

In the interest of transparency, here are the responses I got from Bambu after the first supposed “violation” and after the second.

1 Like

They are not. Bambu had me link them in my profile so that has been corrected. They also asked me to put my username to my other accounts in my Maker World bio so others could see.

I don’t know if would characterize Makerworld’s response as even being close to reasonable.

The notion of a a copyright strike under the DMCA has been around for over 10 years and the process is pretty much the same for copyright strike and appeal. In the case of YouTube as an example, they use AI to do strikes and one has the right to appeal. However, if the DMCA take down request came from the copyright owner, the content poster has the right to file a counter-claim challenge it and the take-down who has two weeks to respond to the challenge. If it goes unanswered, the content is reposted.

How Do I Respond to a DMCA Takedown Notice? | Nolo.

There is no reason why Makerworld couldn’t do the same here except that they rushed this POS service to market and expected the community to do their job for them finding bugs and problems. That’s just sloppy but it is the Chinese way of chà bù duō. They obviously could not have gotten away with this if this was hardware.

I continue to repeat this Mantra. Every occasion where Makerworld screws up is yet another nail in Bambu Lab’s reputational coffin. They started out this year with really great street-cred by putting out a better, higher quality, less expensive product with an eye towards innovation. Then they put out this Piece of Sh∫te and really mess up their reputation.

Before hand, I might have purchased the next Bambu Printer sight-unseen without reviews. But given that they have proven that they are just like every other Chinese company and their earlier performance was just a “launch on best behavior” conduct, I for one will never trust them.

1 Like

In this instance, it was a disgruntled competitor in the fidget competition. I know this because I released a similar model about 2 weeks ago on my normal profile and it had over 550 downloads and zero violations or reports. But suddenly when I put a variant of it in the competition, I was flagged 3 separate times. This screams of pettiness and I had thought that people in these competitions would be better. Then again, I thought Bambu’s responses to the allegations of my “violations” would be better as well, especially after having proved twice that I was the original creator.

1 Like

They should just make as difficult to report a copyright claim as it is to dispute it. Everything nowadays is very easy to opt-in, and painful to opt-out.

No. I think most stuff that gets taken down is actually stolen. No reason to make that harder to take down. Just make it easier to get original stuff back

1 Like

Maybe it helps If you don’t upload the model from scratch and just import it from thingiverse to makerworld I think the admins should see that you are the original creator I guess.

Like I said what happened to you shouldn’t happen. I can tell how frustrating it must be.

But hear me out: there is still a possibility that the reports were done in good faith. Someone out there saw a contest entry that they happened to see somewhere before and did a quick check and fount out that the entry was from someone else (it was your own, but they wouldn’t know since the user names were different on other platforms). So they reported this, probably also thought that it’s good for you, too. Makerworld people took a look, and sure enough, the entry was from someone else. So they pulled the trigger and took it down.

Then you successfully appealed and you made a small change to the model, and uploaded it. The same person, or another person, saw the slightly changed model, and thought that the first model must be taken down because of violations, and thought that you now made a small change trying to circumvent the takedown. So they reported it again. (It’s also possible that people didn’t keep track of what they reported before and simply reported something that they thought was from another creator). The Makerworld, being still in open Beta, is overwhelmed with tickets, and also doesn’t have a good system in place yet to show history of adjucated cases, took a look and again quickly pulled the trigger to take down the model (yes, this could have been prevented if Makerworld has worked out a good system. Give them some time to get there).

Then you successfully appealed again and redesigned the gear and uploaded it again. People thought (mistakenly) that you were at it again, trying to circumvent the takedown and reported it, and this time flagged even more models that they thought were from another creator.

Makerworld needs to find a sensible solution, that’s for sure. But we also don’t want to discourage good samaritans out there who take the time to report violations. Someday it could be our models that are stolen and we don’t have the time to find out ourselves. We would appreciate that someone out there report it.

I could be wrong, but I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

You have to file a ticket and go through the whole support rollercoaster to get it all sorted.

Although that contest is gonna be real fun to see how they judge. Particularly judging criteria like “3. Models uploaded as Remix and Share will be ineligible to be considered for winning.” There are no models uploaded as remixes, but basically 99% of all the contesting models are remixes of other older models that have been part of the 3d printing community for years. Planetary gears, fidget spinners etc. How does one make an original fidget toy, they have all been done, redone twice and overdone thrice.

All of them would have been copy right claimed by Bambu Lab in any other circumstances, but here they are. Even their “potential ideas” are all just remixes…

Their second competition and I feel it will lay heavy groundwork for how these will be judged in the near future.

MW-Support IS ■■■■ in Claims
Had that with a REMIX

I have Up after 2 Weeks Argumentation.

If people use a different ‘handle’ for every site how would the folks at Makerworld or anyone else know the uploads are from the original designer? Is there a way in the process to clarify this?

Welcome to the twisty and tangled world of copyright management, Bambu Labs!

FWIW, this problem was utterly foreseeable and requires more software horsepower than they (Bambu) probably thought they’d have to create to launch this new content curation portal. Kind of shame on them for that, but they wouldn’t be the first to find out that this is harder than it looks:

1. Figure out how to fingerprint an STL with high accuracy. You can’t rely on the community to tell you when to “copyright strike” something, as YouTube found out a long time ago.

2. When they have fingerprinting working, they will also need store the metadata from wherever their crawlers are finding STL files and determine if the model is freely redistributable (open license).

3. Work with the big STL distribution sites to get fingerprints for the commercial content - an industry standard fingerprint format will probably be necessary here so they’ll most likely have to work within a consortium to pull this off. Once everyone has a common pool of “pay to play” content fingerprints to share, even the community can access it to do a little self-policing in a more automated fashion.

4. Agree on some common blockchain (cough)-style signature mechanism that allows original artists to identify their own work and associate their publishing key with any account that they publish from. If they remove or re-generate their publishing key, that means their work is effectively withdrawn, as it should be their right to do (maybe they hate the first version and want to take it offline while they make a better one?).

Note: A fingerprint is not the original work. It’s just a “fuzzy hash” that allows you to spot the work even if someone has changed a surface or two in an attempt to steal it without noticeably changing its appearance. A complete remix with substantial enough changes to constitute “new work” would not match. This is the consortium level work, since getting this right is “hard” and you certainly would not want to do it a bunch of times.

This is also why this is not some DMCA / RIAA / Hollywood scenario we are talking about either, where we are helping some $bigCorp take down YouTubers that had the temerity to cite 2 seconds of a song as part of a much larger video on music theory. This is about protecting small artists who are squeezing out a very meager living making cool things in a brandh new marketplace. That makes signed “original attribution” even more important.

C’mon, Bambu, you are known as the innovators in this space - nothing that has been described above is beyond the realm of possibility, it’s mostly just a lot of leg work.

Most sites, like YouTube, ask you directly when reporting: “are you the copyright holder?” If you aren’t, you have no legal claim. Sucks someone reported your share. I’d always wondered when that would happen. Seemed inevitable.

You can request a randomized string in makerworld which you then put in your bio on for example printables, then you can connect the two accounts and import models and that kind of stuff. I do not longer have the string in my bio but I can still import models, so think that’s sort of a precaution. I highly doubt I will get copyright striked from an account I have previously proven were mine. But that’s just my assumptions, who knows, I’ve had to fight wild copyright accusations before…

Printables blocks MW

Wasn’t that solved ages ago? At least I don’t have any issues importing models, just did it yesterday. Seen multiple people with imported models, most likely printables. If your still having issues I’d suggest you look that up because I think that was solved ages ago.

Same thing happen to me. I used the mini octopus and put a pumpkin head on it pumpkinpus I had it on printables as remix and on thingverse remix. When posting on makerworld for some reason the original wasnt allowing remix but only on maker world. So i posted as remix from printables. Model got to 1k downloads for Halloween and bam reported and taken down. I did the whole ticket thing they ask for verification and still nothing. I think they do it so they dont have to give out point. So whats stopping anybody from tagging everybody work as copy right and reporting it.

This is absurd.

It makes me wonder if I’ll post a design in Maker World.

Definitely not this. I’ve had my models stolen multiple times. Taking them down quickly is critical because trends start building in favor of the thief and against the creator which are hard to reverse.