Webcam with the usb port

I was wondering if I can use a webcam with the usb port since the p1p camera is gonna be out till April.

1 Like

You cannot. That port is power only.

It’s a pity that you can’t connect a USB stick to the USB port. The solution with the micro USB card is not really practical.

Why does anyone need a USB port, on the 3D printer, purely for power?

I tried to connect my Wyze camera to that USB port to power it up, but it didn’t work for me. Supposedly the port can handle 1.5A and I thought the cameras was 1A max supply, but no luck.

Anyway that’s one possible use. (If it worked :slight_smile: )

Is it the printer powering some other device, or supplying power to the printer (head unit only) ??

a gimmick that nobody needs. Too bad.

2 Likes

Curious that connecting that didn’t work. It should just be a dumb 5V 1.5A supply, and the Wyze cam doesn’t even really require the full 1A that the supplied PSU can provide.

I get the impression it was added as a “why not” addition, with a USB port being a pretty standardised connector for powering things these days.

Sure it would have been nice for it to support USB storage, but it’s a pretty weedy processor, and I’m not even sure that the variant they’re using has hardware USB-OTG support.

I’ll have to give it another go later when I’m not printing. I didn’t spend a lot of time trying to debug when I first connected it.

1 Like

If you take a look at the board I believe you will see USB data pins are hooked up to the board and the two resistors in the data lines have not been placed, hence the board is likely able to accept data. Note this is the board that when the user replaces it must provide data back to Bambu Lab so that the board is “unlocked” and can be used.

However, in my opinion (which I hope is what this forum supports) Bambu Labs does not respond well to requests for changes. A good example is the request for a wired data connection. They do publish a list of changes when new software is provided so that is a very good thing. It would just be nice if the list would be available on the forum so folks would see what is coming.

4 Likes

I am using wyze cam og without any issues to monitor the prints. Produces decent time lapses and very fast video feed connection.

I have connected a cheap wifi IP camera to this USB port. It works without any problems. The Android app for it also works under Windows 11 in the Windows subsystem for Android in a window on the desktop.

1 Like

It’s a USB A port, so be very careful trying to hook it up to something else. USB A to USB A is a very bad idea…

mowcius, I believe his is using that port for the 5V supply. By observation the data lines are not connected due to the series resistor are not installed.