What Does Ideal Wall Quality Look Like in 3D Printing?

I had quite a few printers over the years, some home build ones as well.
But even with my near new P1S I run into prints that are less than acceptable at times.

From my experience bad looking VERTICAL walls can be caused by an endless list of issues, not all can be fixed.
The filament quality and how dry it is play a vital role.
But also the entire transport chain, like the tubes and extruder.
I had a Flashforge that started to produce all sorts of problems…
In the end I figured out it was the actual motor for the extruder dying…
With my P1S I struggled badly when I tried some old filament that was kept in a sealed bad with silica gel - it was TOO dry…
One of the biggest issues in the 3D printing world is still repetition…
We expect that all lines will follow the exact same path for a wall - but quite often this does not happen…
Let me try to explain:

If the filament extrudes without the required accuracy and consistency the wall can’t end up perfect.
Unless this actually IS accurate you can never tell for sure whether the defect is caused by how the filament comes out or by the actual nozzle position.
I had no issues getting ‘perfect’ prints from a threaded rod Prusa, slow but great…
The more speed, the higher the chances of things getting messy :wink:
And like it or not: Calibrating a roll of filament PROPERLY can be hard, but that is nothing compared to properly calibrating your hardware…

1 Like

Thanks for the help, your explanation makes sense.
But when the nozzle laying down layer unevenly would be the most thing causing this problem, the inconsistency would be worse at higher speeds right?
Is there a way to find out whether my extruder motor is dead or not? I still suspect my extruder motor/gears to be the culprit…

Only way to know for sure is to actually check.
Sometimes it is just build up from the filament clogging things, sometimes wear and tear.