What is the PRINTABLE option in the Right Click menu for?

I can’t figure this one out, in Bambu Studio if I right click on a model I the right click menu has an option called PRINTABLE. If I select it a check mark appears near it (showing it is selected) and my 3d model looks transparent (vs the normally solid color it has). I’ve looked in the wiki docs, googled this like crazy, I can’t find a single answer as to what this “printable mode” is for or does or why I might want to use it.

I was hoping it somehow shows if the model is printable like some other slicers do. I’m coming from resin so new to FDM, but my Formlabs will show in red (for example) areas that won’t print well without more supports. So you can sort of see what will fail before you print.

Is this printable model anything like that? Something else entirely? Is there any way to sort of “see” what might or might not print with/without supports on a model to make it easier to know where to add supports manually?

Sorry for the beginner questions and thanks in advance!

Unchecking “Printable” means that the part isn’t sliced when the plate is sliced.

5 Likes

I have found quite a few uses for this feature when trying to create and manage a library of ‘colour doesn’t matter’ objects - that can be used to save waste when doing multi colour printing.

If for example you have a set of plates with quite a few ‘colour doesn’t matter’ objects on them - if you just mark the ones you want to use as printable, then save a version of the project - then you can import this project into the main multi coloured one.

Auto arrange will then just arrange the ‘printable’ objects imported - and shuffle all of the non printable ones off to the side,

1 Like

Like what? fidgets and things? I find it hard to find objects that dont actually need extra filament to finish them.

Ahh, thank you for the replies. Now it makes total sense. Many thanks.

Yes - there will always be a little bit of extra filament needed, and therefore a little bit of extra print time required.

I’ve got quite a few ideas for ‘flush into as colour doesn’t matter’ objects - such as

1. Large multi part functional items - designed with ‘flush-into’ specifically in mind, that can be built up over time - such as:
    A flexible size table - made out of multi colour flush - that I am calling the ‘purge-table’.
    Plus other big multi part things like shelving etc. See Making better use of Flush-into object in Bambu Studio - #12 by Ukdavewood
  2. Xmas decorations - such as multi coloured balls etc -
  3. Printer add ons - like AMS risers / AMS helpers / Scrapers etc
  4. Storage - like Gridfinity etc.
  5. Decorative things like Vases and 3DPB string art etc that are actually enhanced by the ‘random’ multi colouring
  6. Big strong functional things - like the parts for the MPCNC for example
  7. Custom packaging for fragile designs
  8. Internal components of decorative items

Ultimately what I would like to see if for users to be able to create Makerworld collections of things they are interested in printing at some point - then for makerworld to have the ability to automatically suggest things out of the collections that are appropriate for multi coloured objects being printed.

Have made a start on a collection here to try and illustrate the sort of thing I am talking about. Flush-into colour doesn't matter | Collection - MakerWorld

1 Like