Why Ovals and not circles

Thanks for the info on the belt tension. But I have done this about three time now. But still get oval hole instead of circular holes on the horizontal axis. Vertical holes are ok.

1 Like

Try fiddling with the X-Y hole compensation in the slicer.

1 Like

Since it is a big hole, you might try using supports.

2 Likes

My guess is it is because of your layer height. Slice it with a smaller layer height (or adaptive layers which will give you the best circle) and see if produces a more round circle in your preview tab. Depending on the hole location, layer height, and hole size, it can even flatten the top completely. This only affects horizontal holes as you mentioned. This is covered in the video posted above, but if printing a pre-designed print, you might not have the ability to change the hole geometry.

2 Likes

Can you point me to the files you’re trying to print? Just curious to try them here.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues. I have retentioned and recalibrated. Printed slower and changed the orientation on the bed. It’s only circles on vertical surfaces.

If you go to Voron-2/STLs/Test_Prints at Voron2.4 · VoronDesign/Voron-2 · GitHub and select the heat set test you will have a good test part.

Mark

Vertical perfect circles will always be a limitation for FDM-printers. Horizontal circles don’t really have a resolution limit (ok, besides getting to small). Vertical circles on the other hand have a resolution 0.2 (standard preset) and on the upper end of the circle you will also fight against step overhangs.

Ideally, the design already foreseen the limitation and implement a few design tricks to compensate for this.

3 Likes

Agreed, however it’s much worse on the Bambu. The same prints on my Voron are spectacular compared to the ones I posted above.

I will look for that. Is it in Bambu Studio?

Voron say that there parts should be printed at .4 layer height> No supports needed, I will look into adaptive layers

Voron states in there doc’s. No supports needed

1 Like

I would build a little cube model with a same sized vertical hole and paint supports into the hole. Should not take to do. Maybe you will get lucky and it will work.

1 Like

Yes. Under Quality > Precision.

1 Like

Are you sure they specify a 0.4mm layer height? I’m looking at page 4 of the manual and it says 0.2mm height and 0.4mm width. It appears Bambu Studio does allow you to go to 0.4mm thickness, but OrcaSlicer/SF only allows 0.28 max.

I couldn’t find your exact part, but this “z_motor_mount_b_x2.stl” which has a couple horizontal holes. This is what it looks the unsliced part looks like:

This is it sliced at 0.4mm layer thickness in Bambu Studio:

This is sliced at 0.20mm layer thickness in Bambu Studio without adaptive layers:

Finally, this is sliced at 0.20mm layer thickness in Bambu Studio with adaptive layers (top slider all the way to the left):

As shown above, your 0.4mm layer height is likely the cause of your oval holes. With non-adaptive layers, the slicer is indiscriminate, so you may get a flat top, flat bottom, or sometimes both. It all depends on the diameter of the hole and location relative to the slicing. This is lessened by using a smaller layer height or if you want a really round hole, adaptive layers.

2 Likes

I never noticed that in the manual. Will run a print with it tomorrow. and let you know the result. Thanks

1 Like

You can set the max layer height in the nozzle settings. You can raise it to 0.4mm there if you like.
But I have no idea what settings you actually need for the print :slight_smile:

No.

This is a slicer artifact. Plain and simple. All slicers do this. It has to do with the method it uses to optimize the outer wall path intersects the actual model.

Reducing layer height forces higher resolution and less errors on XZ and YZ holes.

1 Like

This is a slicer artifact - but of Bambu Studio. When I slice on Cura it does not oval the holes.

Additionally - the Voron manual states .20 layer height, .40 layer width.

I just finished printing the heat set insert test part at .10 layer height and the holes are still oval.

I’m doing some more testing and will report back.

Printed the same model on my Voron using Cura 5.3 beta - .20 layer height, .40 line width, 40% infil, 80 mms

Side by side comparison of multiple prints from Bambu Studio (OrcaSlicer) with various settings but same settings as above.

I agree your problem is an artifact problem, but the OP’s may turn out better if he reduces the layer height since 0.4mm is pretty high. As for your problem, what speed are you printing at? I’ve found that I’ve generally had to slow things down for non-bambu filament.