Why some don't like BL's vision but don't leave

Ever wonder why some chose to buy a Bambu Lab printer when they are fundamentally against proprietary systems? Wisdom would say stay away from things that make one unhappy. Here’s my theory on why they have to stay in the forum even though they are not happy.

1. BL printers are good and they don’t want to miss out on a hot trending machine. So they bought it, and come here to complain hoping to pressure Bambu Lab to change course and make them completely open source.

2. The unhappyness goes beyond opposition to proprietary systems, and extendes to BL’s vision of making 3D printing accessible to the masses. If anyone can spend a few hundred dollars and get a printer that just works and has the same or better features than what a hobbyist can make in months and with way more money, then the hobby’s appeal and meaning will be undermined. So they have to stay engaged here for gatekeeping reasons.

What’s your theory? or how can gatekeepers be convinced to join the course to move 3D printing forward?

I think there’s a bit of two sprinkled into one. I think people do resent Bambu’s vision, not just because it takes away the appeal of their hobby, but because it is consumerizing it, which can have positive and negative effects on everyone. Generally the communities that form before that happens, tend to be pretty lively, open, knowledgeable. A certain kind of something to it. As consumerization happens, it can cause a lot of growing pains, and can wreck havoc on those original communities that formed around the hobby. That doesn’t mean there isn’t life after, but it can be a big shift.

I’ve seen it in other things. Photography…? Digital photography isn’t real! Phone photography isn’t real! All that stuff. There is a certain point of ourselves and what we grew up with that is lost when those things we love change.

And so it circles back to one. That desire to want to make sure the world doesn’t get swept away in corporate greed, to push to retain what made these things special to begin with, what made them special to us on an individual level.

Want to be a part of it, but don’t want to loose the parts of it we love.

3 Likes

Or maybe they simply changed their mind or later developed an opinion when before they didn’t have one.

This thread is not to question one’s stand on open source vs proprietary. Regardless one’s opinion, others’ stand should be respected.

The question is why bought a Bambu printer when one is so against proprietary to begin with. Doesn’t doing so disrespects one’s own stand/philosophy? If one disrespects their own stand, does one lose the argument to demand others to respect it?

My theorry can be wrong, so I am open to others’ thinking.

You may not like your job and your boss, but it works for you and pays the bills… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s the same as people that buy i-phones. they trash-talk them up and down… and then buy one anyway.
Same as politics: everyone trash-talks trump, but then they vote for him anyway
Same as choice of cars: people trash talk ford, and then buy the F150.

People are full of paradoxes like that. it’s human nature.

1 Like

These are all interesting takes.

I did consider the possibiity that all these noises are just trolling, or attention-seeking, rather than about upholding a principle that they truly believe in.

Not everyone is a troll here (or a bot), nor is everyone from those voicing their disagreements on/about BL a drama queen seeking attention or venting his/her tantrums or frustrations.

Fact is that you are unfair and biased towards everyone else, as it appears that you do have the right to voice your views and opinions on everybody else, yet you’re denying all the others, who don’t agree with your views, the same right to express theirs (first amendment applies to them as well, you know, whether you like it or not).

Personally, I don’t agree with some of the views or opinions expressed by some users (including yours), but that doesn’t mean that because i don’t agree with them i can shut them down as trolls or attention seekers or whatever else might cross your mind. I can either argue and debate with them on the matters i disagree with, or I can simply move along to another topic and ignore them.

So, my point here is, let’s just agree to disagree while respecting others rights. Everyone can express their thoughts and opinions, whether you agree with them or not. You don’t like it (or disagree with it) , well tough luck; i then can call you names like troll, whiner, grubler or attention seeker…

With all dew respect, the First Amendment only applies to the US government, and bars it from limiting speech it doesn’t like. It doesn’t apply to anyone here. None of us are the government. I don’t think we are. Regardless, no one on here can shut you down anyway, as we don’t have that power. Our only power is mean words. And as the ol’ childhood saying goes, which is sometimes not entirely correct. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

1 Like

@Josh-3D ,
I’m not disputing your clarification on the applicability of the 1st amendment (after all I’m not an US national, nor do I live in the US, so my knowledge of what and how the amendments of the US Constitution can be applied is limited). However, I do trust that the main point in my previous post was clear enough, that everyone can express their opinions, whether some of us agree with them or not.

I assume you had a bad day. But you need to calm down and read first. After that, if you have something to contribute to the conversation on this thread’s specific topic, you are still welcome to add your thoughts.

Looks like the first part of my theory just got a direct confirmation, by this sentence at the bottom part of the original post linked below.

“I hope that other users in the community will also put pressure on Bambu Lab …”

I think that many people bought BL with the aim of getting a printer that will work out of the box and they knew that they were going for a closed design. They believed the advertising and the fact that everything works as it should, which sounds unbelievable. I myself belong to these people. And then reality arrived - the first contact with BL support and the discovery that they were living in an illusion. There people start to get more information about how BL works and this is where the problem arises. But BL is at the peak of fame and a couple of dissatisfied users are negligible…

There are complaints about customer services, but this thread is not about these. It’s about why some chose to buy a Bambu Lab printer and then complained about it being proprietary.

because they assumed that for the money they invested in the device they would get what BL declares, but they found out that the product is nowhere near as perfect as it looks from the advertisement and they found out that they can’t even solve simple things by themselves

Ah, I missed this point in your reply. It’s an angle that I did not consider in my theory.

Let me play devil’s advocate though:

So the claim is that Bambu Lab is engaging in false advertising. If that’s the case,
BL is not only doing something against one’s open-source stand, but now also doing false advertising. That’s a double whammy. One would think the course of action is to seek ways to get the money back, and never deal with this company again. Or maybe there is another thinking that I missed?

1 Like