Would love a delayed start or set start time for a job

We do a lot of printing with embedded parts. We set a pause and put them in by hand.

Some of these are towards the end of the print jobs. 3 or 4 hours after start. So we cannot do one towards the end of the day as no one would be there to do the inserts.

If we could do a delayed start or set time of the start we could start it so that it got to the pause about the time someone came in the next morning.

This would give us almost another print cycle on the jobs.

1 Like

You could put the right number of G4 S99 commands at the beginning of your start g-code - i think each one will delay start by about 99 seconds.

Could probably write a fairly simple post processing script to put the right number in based on a start time specified in a comment

2 Likes

Interesting approach. I had never considered that. Thanks will investigate.

Might investigate myself too - to see if you can do something like start a long print in the evening, and get it to automatically turn off the hottend and fans at a rough time like 10 or 11pm, pause itself overnight, and then restart the printing in the morning again.

Its possible to write a not too complicated python script that analyses the GCODE commands and works out roughly how long they are likely to take - so that it can work out the right place in the GCODE to insert the pauses.

Not sure what happens on the printer while the G4 commands are executing. Printer currently in use - but will give it a try tomorrow.

Another way to achieve your requirement might be via some automation of Bambu studio - i.e. Have a PC or MAC switched on which kicks off BS to fire off the print at a pre-determine time. I’ve done a few little things that automatically drive some aspects of BS on a MAC, like setting the colouring of objects using some automation software called Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like

Further update - G4 S99 does seem to work - managed to get a print to delay its start by a couple of minutes.

Less success on creating a post processing script (see Output options in BS) to automatically calculate and insert the correct number of delay commands.

Managed to get a post processing script to run eventually - but only when you export the Gcode to a file - presumably like an SD card which you could then manually put into the printer.

Can’t seem to get post processing scripts to run on any of the Gcode that BS itself sends directly to the printer via Wifi.

1 Like

I’m trying to do something along the same thought process here. I’ve been trying to iron all top services however I have a top service about 2/3 up my print and the ironing is perfect but I think it is causing a bulge on the outer service (was not there before I started testing ironing) from the added heat. I can set a pause but that would also require me to manually resume. Do you think there is a way to use G44 S*** to set how long that pause is and automatically resume?

Yes - should work - you can add it using the 'add custom GCODE at beginning of layer

2F170332-1FA1-4453-8F4F-4AEEB85F9676_4_5005_c