3D Printing Access: Perspectives from Latin America

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out from Argentina with something I’ve been contemplating for quite some time, though I’ve hesitated to share it for fear of it being perceived as too bold. First and foremost, I want to clarify that I have firsthand experience operating a Bambu Lab X1 Combo, and I’m well-acquainted with its capabilities. In fact, I’m genuinely fascinated by the machine and the innovative concept it embodies. I deeply admire the brand for its remarkable achievement in delivering high-quality products at exceptionally reasonable prices, establishing itself as an incredible brand in a remarkably short period of time. With that said, I’d like to emphasize that my comments are intended to be constructive and not in any way meant to offend Bambu Lab or anyone else within the community.

From my perspective, one aspect where Prusa truly stands out is in its sales strategy. They conduct direct sales worldwide through their portal and partner with reputable shipping companies like UPS, FEDEX, or DHL, which, despite their costs, manage to deliver with relative ease in most Latin American countries.

On a personal level, I strongly oppose resellers. They act as unnecessary middlemen who often profit excessively from the efforts of others, offering no added value, support, or warranty services in return. For example, here in Argentina, the Bambu Lab A1 Mini is being sold for well over 1200 USD at the current exchange rate, which seems excessively high considering the printer is priced at 400 USD on the official Bambu portal (not to mention the more expensive models like the P1S or X1 Combo). There’s simply no justification for such a significant price difference, especially considering there are no shipping or tax costs to account for. This pricing disparity can make it impossible for many of us on a limited budget to afford a printer, which is deeply frustrating.

It’s disheartening to see that Latin America and other regions aren’t considered a priority for Bambu. While we may not represent the largest market, I firmly believe that collectively, we could offer significant potential for growth and expansion for the brand.

I’m puzzled as to why Bambu Lab continues to support these intermediary systems instead of opting for a direct sales approach that would ultimately benefit end consumers, eliminate unnecessary middlemen, and provide more individuals with access to their exceptional products without tarnishing their sterling brand reputation.

Although I understand that purchasing through the official portal isn’t the only option, it would be incredibly beneficial to have an official store presence on platforms like Aliexpress, Banggood, Amazon, or others. This would make their products more accessible to customers from various regions, not just those listed on the official website.

While I freely admit that I lack expertise in international business, shipping logistics, and the intricacies of cross-border transactions, I felt compelled to share my thoughts. I sincerely hope they’re taken into consideration and that efforts are made to include us in a fair and equitable manner.

On a related note, I’m curious whether it’s possible to acquire a printer or other products through the Maker World points exchange system while residing in Argentina. I’m quite fond of the system and have accumulated some points. It would be fantastic to be able to participate in this program as well, though it appears that those of us in Latin America are currently excluded.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, and I’m hopeful that it sparks an open and constructive dialogue. Most importantly, I hope it resonates with the team at Bambu Lab and prompts meaningful consideration of these issues.