3d Sanners

Just curious if anyone can recommend a portable 3d scanner.

Here is what I am thinking.

one of my other hobbies is floral photography. So I thought with the AMS and multi-color it would be cool if I could make 3d prints that match the photos I’m taking. I would like to be able to scan the flower I am flower or plant and print it in color.

Portability is the issue. I like to ride my scooter to the botanical garden. Here in Alaska, we have plenty of trails and open wilderness and I like to hike and take photos in hard-to-reach places. So packability is essential.

Not sure what would be a good scanner for this.

The budget is somewhat open. But obviously not open to spending thousands on a scanner.
Thanks, in advance.

I’ve been looking into some consumer grade scanners recently. This guy has some pretty good reviews of the more affordable consumer scanners:

Comparison video:

Full review of the one I’m considering. Lots of people in the comments seem to agree it’s legit:

3 Likes

I bought the einstar, since it seemed to give the best results of the low budget scanners.
You should note that 3D scanning with these devices has a steep learning curve and the scanning process takes quite some time. It’s often not obvious, why the scanner loses the reference and either stops or creates ghost images. You might be better of taking loads of photos and combine them to a 3D image using the appropriate software.
With both methods you can’t transfer the colors. So you would have to color the model in Bambu studio according to the original.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks good. Still undecided but more knowledgeable now.

Hi! I’ve just bought a 3D scanner, and I’m satisfied with it, because I can finally scan the figure which I love for a long time! I use the 3D scanner POP 3 of Revopoint, it’s portable, you can take it where you go. And the color and texture is accurate, I think you would be like it if you use it to scan the colorful flowers. And my favorite feature is that the POP 3 can scan the objects even in the dark, because it has dual LED lights! So if you want to know more details or my recommandations about POP 3, you can check it in my blog. 3ddavis dot com

After waiting for years to get a 3D scanner, I also recently bought the Revo POP3. The Revoscan 5 software is significantly improved, and while there is still a learning curve for the software, it is much shorter than the previous releases I researched and decided to pass on. And yes, there is a significant learning curve in getting a clean scan. The Revoscan documentation is pretty good, esp if you supplement it with YouTube reviews and tutorials.

And watch out for the CPU loads. I started using my pretty hefty laptop (Ryzen 6950HS with 8/16 cores/threads) and quickly moved everything to the floor by my 16-core 32-thread desktop. When processing the mesh all 32 threads were at 100% consistently. Sheesh. I must say they did a good job writing the multi-threaded code. Maybe this gives me a reason to upgrade my Ryzen 3950X :wink:

1 Like