A quick open bottom for the AMS

What would be highly useful for the AMS is some way to quickly open the bottom so we can work on clogs.

The problem with the current method is it puts a lot of wear on the electronics, it is far from user friendly, and it ups the chances of anything important from getting messed up.

My idea is this. Mostly keep what we have now. Extend the height of the AMS by a little and create a false bottom.
I made this to help describe what I’m talking about

• The black box is the normal thing
  • The blue is the extended bit
  • The red is the important bits. The area the filament sites, and what not.
  • The orange is the tube

Note the angle of the false bottom can mimic the area the filament sits, where the exit for the tube is can be adjusted, etc.
The important bits from this is basically the upper chamber is a sealed unit as it is now, but this also allows the user to easily fix any broken filament in the AMS.

So in this case the user would just need to take off the bottom door, undo the tubes like they would now. clear the tube or replace them, them reinsert the tube. There is a small section of tube within the top chamber itself. I’m not sure if there is a way to eliminate that. If possible, that should be done since it is likely the tube will get replaced far more often than the gears and what not in the AMS.

1 Like