A1: Failed to extrude the filament

I have an issue with my newest A1. About 50 percent of the time during filament change the filament can’t make it all the way to the extruder. It’s catching on something. If I push the filament by hand it resumes. I can’t figure out what it’s catching on.

Opening a ticket was funny. They told me the AMS is too far away, even though the photo clearly shows that it’s top-mounted. LOL. Then they closed the ticket as resolved.

I can’t do overnight multi-color with this printer for obvious reasons.

I’m having the same problem, even using just one color (with AMS). Still got no solution?

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. I have 3 PLA+ on my AMS and 1 PETG from Bambu. The PLA+ was working perfectly until chneged the colors. Now for the PLA+ it is telling me, that the extruder is clogged. I pulled the filament back, reinserted it, redefined the spools …. nothing, it just clicks several times an then tells me that the extruder is probably clogged, which it is not. I removed it an checked everything. But the strange thing is, if I print with the original PETG, it is printing like a charm. No problems at all. I hope that there will be a solution for this problem. My last hope is now the firmware reset…

Same problem here. My printer extruding flawlessly but still throws extrusion failed / hotend clogged. I already installed a new hotend, still working fine but always the same error. I’m getting crazy. Already tried different firmware versions.

Having this exact problem. I usually print around 240ºC and I suspect that might have something to do with it. Let me know if you come up with something.

What is the solution you find out

I get similar issue now days in bambu a1. Tried everything but notget solutions. Canhelp what to do?

Any solution get for this same issue i also face the same

Let’s take a look at the system’s functions. Off the top of my head, so l may have error messages mixed up. However, let’s look at tangled filament detection. This is the spring loaded 4 tube filament hub on top of the extruder. If filament won’t feed from the spool, the extruder will pull against this spring, pulling the tube hub into the filament sensor base, forcing the base tab down & stopping the print. A wordy way of saying, if the sensor is pressed in or stuck, for what ever reason, the filament error will occur. Assumptions go to nozzle problems or ams lite feeding motors which shut off during the error. So, while the machine is off, make sure the sensor base spring is working properly & free to move without twists. Yes, misaligned ptfe tubes can apply excessive side pressure, sticking the sensor in the down, shut off position. Hope this helps.

I am having the exact same issue….nothing helps. I did full maintenance on the printer.

Similar, but Probably not the same problem here. I had this happen to me in the middle of a 12 hour print job and this has never happened before. I think what happen is that the filament got stuck between the side of the spool and the filament mass and couldn’t be pulled into the Ams Lite feeder. The printer had stopped and I was getting all kinds of error messages. I couldn’t really find any thing wrong so ended up removed and replaced the hotend. Upond removal of the hotend, I noticed that there was no filament polking out of the top of the hotend, which meant that there was no filament being fead into the hotend. In the past the problem of not feeding was the filament sensor issue, but upon replacing the hotend nozzel with a new on, I was able to get the filement to feed.

(In the photo) See the gap in the print from where it stopped laying down filament continuing around to the other side of the part and then that is when the print stopped and I suppose the error messages started to showed up, I was sleeping so can’t say for sure the sequence of events. The reason there is good printing above the gap is because after I got it working again with good printing I let it go for awile, but then I stoping the print when I notice that I was able to break off pieces at the gap in the print. So quit the print and restarted a new one. So what could have been a massive repar, ended up stuck filament. So far the new print is working just fine.

((for some reason I can”t up load photo cause it is to large, will work on it)

Was that with a refill? It is pretty common if step 5 is not done (or done too cautiously):

:crossed_fingers: & :four_leaf_clover:

Hello all. I also have started having the same issues. My prints will start out okay but a quarter in is where things start going haywire. I get the error “Failed to extrude AMS lite slot# filament; the extruder may be clogged or the filaments may be too thin, causing the extruder to slip. [1200-2100-0002-0006][150835].

I have done everything that bambuwiki suggest including completly disassembling the extruder and checking it for clogs or debri. I am close to my wits end. The printer is about 6 months old. I will say that this all started after the first couple of TPU prints I did but again I cannot see anything clogged or broken with the extruder. I am wondering if a full extruder replacement is the next step? I am still within my 1 year warrenty for parts. Has anyone had any luck with a full replacement and resovling these issues?

Not a refill, but looked poorly wound. Was Creality brand and so far I have not had a problem with them, but then maybe it was wound on a Monday or a Friday.

The reprint I made last nite completed with no problems, from the same spool. I put a paper clip around the filament, hopping that it would not let the filament slip into the space. It seemed to work ok.

Hi,

A-1 Combo, Age, 2 months.
Signs and Symptoms

Load: Bad
Unload: Good

The Work-Around (not a fix) —> Print Settings —> Tangle Detect OFF.

Filament type: Bambu PLA Basic
AMS Lite seemed to function same as it did before problem.

Upon Push or Print → Filament is moved into the hot end without snagging before reaching the hot end.
Partial flow occurred, about 50%, then. Beep beep, “Failed to Extrude the Filament”
Display has green dot at filament marker, spool displays white arrow or triangle
When error occurs, “■■” top of screen in orange letters.

AMS — It does a slight pull, then pushes again and beep beep, Error.

Upon SUBSEQUENT PULL —> Good extruding flow then, Beep Beep “Unload Complete”

Maintenance Mode — 190 degrees, extruder down arrow, works great, flows and flows.

Remedial Efforts, all FAILED to fix:

– Examined Filament Sensor Base - looks to be clean
– Replaced PTFE filament hub
– Replaced filament base
– Replaced filament sensor
– Replaced and upgraded gear and idle arm*
– Applied grease to new tooth gear according to instructions
– Spring and spring cap are reinstalled properly
– All screws back where they belong
– Cleaned copper portion of heater contact behind hot end
– New (virgin) Hot End with new silicone cover
– Another new hot end.
– Calibration no errors
– Replaced cutter
– All PTFE tubes are clear and allow filaments to move freely
– Upgraded Firmware without doing factory reset.

AMS vs EXT - EXT FEED ALSO FAILED:
– AMS appears to be working, but who am I to judge the AMS?
– AMS power cable is in all the way.
– Tried all 4 spools, failures persist
– I tried “helping” the AMS by pressing release button while manually pushing, no go!– Ext loads ok after several push tries.
– Ext Print FAILED, Lots of errors happened.

*Inspected gear and idle arm for misalignment. Misalignment cannot happen, there is no room for gears to slip out of alignment when extruder housing is reassembled. I know alignment is good because “Pull” works normally.

Of all the steps above that I tried, do I need to replace entire extruder with motor? Does the motherboard need to be replaced? Do I need to downgrade the firmware? Something else to try?

I know that disabling Tangle Detection bypasses the cause of the problem, whatever that may be.

Your advice will be most highly appreciated, and I’ll pass it along to other local Bambu A1 users.

Many Thanks !!!

My Setup: 6× A1 with AMS Lite (stock mount on top, original PTFE tubes, latest firmware). The problem shows up on all 6 printers, random slots, 6 different filament brands (PLA, printed at 210–230 °C), and has been going on for over 12 months.

Symptom: The first load at print start works fine. During color changes, the printer often throws “Failed to extrude the filament. This might be caused by clogged extruder or stuck filament”. The only fix was to push the filament by hand at the AMS inlet while pressing “Problem solved”, and then the print continues normally.

What I already ruled out:

  • Full extruder and AMS disassembly, cleaning and calibration
  • Cutter blade: replaced it, and the cut is straight and clean with no burrs
  • Hotend fans: working and clean
  • Filament tangle detection: turning it off reduced the errors on some machines, but the failure still happened with it disabled

My first assumption: Since a manual push at the AMS inlet always solved it, I first thought the new filament simply wasn’t reaching the extruder gear to be grabbed. I even looked for a way to make the AMS push a few extra millimeters after the sensor. That turned out to be wrong.

The discovery: I removed the pressure block of the extruder and watched a failing change. The new filament does pass through the extruder gears and reaches the leftover cut piece inside the hotend. But the gears can’t push that stub. You can see them spinning and slipping. The cut tip of the new filament also shows gear marks. So this isn’t an AMS feed-length problem or a clog. The resistance from the remaining stub is higher than the extruder’s grip.

Why it happens: Watching the stock sequence at 215 °C:

  1. Cut
  2. Partial purge of the cut filament
  3. AMS pushes the new filament
  4. Extruder starts pushing
  5. Only then does the nozzle heat up to the flush temperature (240 °C)

In the stock change filament G-code (A1 20251031), the only M109 (heat and wait) to flush temperature comes after T[next_extruder]. Before that there’s just M104 S[old_filament_temp], so the load happens at print temperature.

Why the G-code can’t simply fix the order: Cut, unload and load all happen inside the single T[next_extruder] command, handled by the firmware. The G-code can only act before or after that whole block. There’s no way to cut first and then heat before the AMS pushes.

Workaround (custom printer profile): Before the head moves to the cut position (G1 X267), I added a block that:

  1. Retracts 2 mm
  2. Moves to the purge/wipe area
  3. Heats and waits at 235 °C
  4. Turns on the part fan and wipes the nozzle to remove the ooze
  5. Goes back to the cut position and continues with the stock sequence
{if next_extruder < 255}
G1 E-2 F1800
M400
G1 Y128 F9000
G1 X-38.2 F18000
M109 S235
M106 P1 S178
M400 S3
G1 X-48.2 F3000
G1 X-38.2 F18000
G1 X-48.2 F3000
G1 X-38.2 F18000
G1 X-48.2 F3000
M400
M106 P1 S0
{endif}

G1 X267 F18000

Insert it right after the M104 S[old_filament_temp] block, replacing the original G1 X267 F18000 line. Leave everything else stock.

Behavior with the workaround: The cut and the AMS load now happen with the nozzle stable at 235 °C, instead of printing temperature ~215 °C. After the new filament is loaded, the firmware raises the temperature to 240 °C for the flush as usual. Waiting at the purge area keeps the ooze off the bed, and the wipe cleans the nozzle before the cut.

Notes:

  • 235 °C is hard-coded for PLA. Adjust or remove it for higher-temp materials, or it may cool the nozzle instead of heating it.
  • Use the [ ] syntax and no inline comments on these lines. A { } version with a comment gave me a parsing error in Bambu Studio.
  • Save it as a user printer profile, so updates don’t overwrite it.
  • Trade-off: a few extra seconds per color change.
  • Testing is still in progress on my farm. I’ll update with failure counts.

Request to Bambu Lab: Please add an option to heat the nozzle to flush temperature after the cut and before the AMS load, inside the firmware’s toolchange sequence. That would solve this without the extra wait and wipe.

Please test it and come back with your results. Did the problem stop?