ABS Printing Issues

I’ve printed ABS before with a Prusa and understand ABS isn’t the easiest filament to use, but I’d like to use ABS with my X-1 Carbon.

I’m about to pull my hair out trying to get ABS working:

• My first layers are inconsistent across the build plate (suggesting bed leveling issues? I do bed leveling before every print)
  • This print has horizontal hexagon shells, but the sides of the hexagons do not connect
  • The horizontal layers do not adequately connect with the horizontal shells (under extrusion?)
  • I get stringing (extruder too hot?)
  • Several places in the print show extra “burned” material (???)

As for configuration, I’m using:

• Official Bambu ABS White filament
  • Filament settings: Bambu ABS @ BBL X1C 0.2 nozzle
    • Changed flow ratio from 0.95 to 1.0
    • Changed bed temp to 100C for all layers
  • Slicer settings: 0.10mm Standard @ BBL X1C 0.2 nozzle
    • Removed brim

What settings can I adjust to make my ABS prints come out right? I’m getting worried I wasted money on both the filament and this rather expensive printer.

What kind of plate do you use? I just started using ABS. I use the high temp plate without glue and it works fine so far.

Switch back to the .4 nozzle the min layer height with abs should be 0.16 it likes to be in the 0.20 to 0.28 range.

• I print with ASA
  • My Bed @ 105c I use the WhamBam and vision minor adhesive.
  • My nozzle @ 275c you can try the 260 to 270c Bambu setting with your BL abs
  • Your flow ratio recalibrate you should be lower
  • Set your volumetric speed @ 14 start low you can always go up to 22
  • Retraction settings will need to be tuned also

Wash your bed plate with warm water and dish soap, give it a light rub with a scotch brite pad then add your adhesive.

Do the calibrations and then test some small parts out.

I would also recommend the orca slicer if you are not using it.

I’m using the engineering plate with Bambu glue, I might have too look into the high temp plate…

Edit: What’s the difference between the engineering plate that comes standard with the printer and the high temp plate?

Is the extra nozzle that ships with the printer also a 0.2mm or is it a 0.4mm?

I’m seriously considering getting both a 0.4mm and 0.8mm nozzle so I can print big pieces faster. What do you think? Is 0.8mm too much for ABS/ASA?

Thanks for your specs and suggestions, I’ll try to implement them and see if it helps. I am using Orca Slicer.

As an extra test, I tried using an ASA spool I had lying around while using default ASA settings and the print was better, but suffered from similar issues to a lesser degree. Idk if that helps diagnose things, but figured I’d share. EDIT: Turns out the spool was ABS - I did an ABS print with ASA settings and it turned out better

Next steps:

1. Bed tramming
  2. Orca calibration
  3. Tune settings
1 Like

The printer ships with two .4 nozzles one installed and one backup should have label on the box with .4

If you want to print faster look into the cht clone setup the Bambu Lab heater is the weak link at this time.

Also get the orca slicer 1.6.3 beta pre release it has more stuff I posted a link for it.

I like ASA PolyMaker but see if you can get what you have to work ABS can be more tricky to work with also.

2 Likes

to be more precise. it is the high temp sticker that is applied to one side of the engineering plate. it also has a smooth surface but the material is different and might have better adhesion as the engineering plate.

1 Like

I did the tramming and fixed the settings using the 0.4mm nozzle option. I then tested and the print is working very well so far! Turns out I was mistaken on nozzle size.

1 Like