Add ability to name plates

Feature Requested

Add ability to name plates in bambu studio. Currently plates are labeled by number. I’d like to be able to add labels like “bathroom tray, cabinet tray, office tray” etc. Currently the only way to come close to naming would be to copy/paste an object, export as stl, write desired name, right click and then replace with stl I just expored.

Workflow

1. Right click a plate → name → enter name.
  2. In the object window, select a plate, right click → name → enter name.

In the plate view in the screenshot below, names will appear below each plate, or the plate number if name has not been set.

11 Likes

+1. Agreed - this would be very useful.

Following up, there actually is a buried way to name individual stl files. if you click “view all ll object settings,” you can double click a name to rename an individual stl. If you then right click outside a plate you can select “show labels.” This helps a bit, but the feature request remains valid because this functionality is incredibly difficult to find. Show labels needs to show labels for all plates and not just the current one. Also, naming plates will still be valuable for organization (also please let us reorder plates as well).

What’s the use case for all this? I’m making dozens of different shapes of organizers for my house. I don’t want dozens of projects for this every time I want to make minor changes to a design to fit a new space.

Kinda surprised not more love for this one.
Plus the renaming of the stl’s “workaround” doesn’t help as much when there’s multiple on a plate.

Being able to rename, and reorder plates would help with some workflows.

2 Likes

For those interested, Orca slicer - GitHub - SoftFever/OrcaSlicer: G-code generator for 3D printers (Bambu, Prusa, Voron, Creality, etc.) - has implemented this (among other things):

4 Likes

I entered it as a bug in the Github bambu studio repo.
(That is where you put bugs and feature requests that you want them to see. )
I also asked for the plate sidebar in prepare just like in preview.

1 Like

You can actually name the plate using Orca Slicer and the name of the plate shows in the printer status when printing the plate. It shows as projectname_platename.

In Orca click on the settings icon in the tool bar that is attached to the plate. That is where you change the actual plate name.

This works better than the STL name because you might have multiple objects on the same plate, but imported from different STL files.

Yes please! Do that Bambu lab :slight_smile:

Strongly agree with this one, managing multi-plated jobs, especially when the parts look similar is a pain for me when you want to trigger the next job from the machine. I currently have a job where there are nine plates, each part is almost identical visually, and some plates need to be printed more than once, and I am having to manage this with a sheet of paper, in 2023 - come on!!

Is there a place where enhancements can be voted on ?

Unfortunately the plates in the Process-Objects panel still just keep the numbers, rather than the names. I’m constantly struggling to figure out which plate I’m editing parameters for.

In 1.7.2.51 I can now name the plate and the name is shown between () ont the objects panel

Thank you. Your short video saved me a lot of time and frustration.